1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + V2 Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rnjones, Sep 20, 2003.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got Sky + installed yesterday. All is well apart from the fact it sounds like an airconditioner. Fan is on all the time, box seems cool.

Noise is very noticable when the TV isnt on.

If I put my finger over a few of the fan outlets the noise decreases a lot. The noise seems to be airflow out of the box.

Anybody else had this problem? Did you find a work round for it?

Working up to ring Sky for a replacement.

Thanks for any advice.

Rog

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Answering my own post. I just unplugged the box from the mains for an hour and reconnected it and the fan is now not running and the box is cool.

Must be some sort of installation issue.

happy now.

Rog

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, needs a hard reset. Mine does this occasionally too. I actually disconnected the fan in the end as I don't use the recording bit so the HDD is disconnected too. I just want 5.1 at the mo.

I'm sure a quieter fan could be sourced or maybe use a fanmate type rheostat device as I believe the fan has a standard PC type 3 pin plug to the board. I suspect snipping the metal bits out of the fan hole would help although will not do much for your warranty.

It seems that with most Sky boxes you need easy access to the power source as frequent reboots are needed.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you were lucky. I've seen a number of reports where people had stupidly installed the box in a warm room inside a cabinet or on top of a VCR and the fan had not switched on - with inevitable results.

So, if you have one of these, install it on an open shelf as you are supposed to do. Test the fan operation by putting a cloth over the cabinet *just* until the fan comes on (and not for more than 30 minutes in any case).

Fman

5. De|ta

De|ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a Sky+ box at the moment, but should have one soon. When I do, i'll check the specs of the fan in it and find a suitable quiter replacement. You can't jsut stick any fan in, it must have at least the same airflow.

Papst make some very good, quit fans - tho until i get my box i'm unsure which you'll need until I look inside a box myself.

Did the V1 have a fan in it? Buzzing and whining is something that really annoys me from equipment, hence the watercooled PC and seagate hdd in the xbox, and grill mods to dampen the sound a bit.