SKY+ V1 Versus V2 box

gtg60

Established Member
Reaction score
Just changed my V2 Sky+ digibox for a V1 one in preparation for my SDI upgrade and there is a very noticeable degradation in picture quality which I'm not happy about at all.
I'm prepared to live with it if it improves the picture quality once the SDI mod is finished but I'm just wondering if I've got a duff digibox?

Strangely the picture quality on Pal Vs Pal is comparable but with RGB Vs RGB there's a large difference.

Also, I'm going to be using my PC to do the scaling, one of the outputs on the Video card is DVI, would I see a better picture if I was to use that output and a DVI to HDMI cable as opposed to using the standard PC input?

Thanks
Keith

Nobody any opinions?

I've had a Pace V1 & V2 box and can't say I noticed any difference in the RGB pic fed to a 42" plasma.

John

I haven't used the V1 box for analogue output much since getting the SDI mod, but I can't say I was aware any drop in PQ compared to the V2. If its as bad as you say then it must be a faulty box.

philipb said:
If its as bad as you say then it must be a faulty box.
Damn, that's what I was afraid of, may as well continue with the SDI mod and hope that it bypasses the problem, thanks
Keith

Its a shame you cant do the sdi mod on v2 box, its a little better looking i think.
any one know why the v2 box cant have sdi?

As I understand it the V1 chipset is less integrated, the connections required to add the SDI mod are accessible unlike the latter chipsets which use fewer single chips and are therefore more compact and cheaper to source and you would hope more reliable:)

Got both boxes, and would say the V2 definately has the better picture.
It is cleaner with more vibrant colours.

That said, I prefer the V1 as the fan doesn't sound like a jet engine and it is a better cosmetic match to the rest of my full size AV gear.

I think reliability is very difficult to get a handle on, you speak to different dealers and they have their own views, the only people that would know the real failure rates are the manufacturers themselves and that isnt data that they release.

our own experience is that we have had no problems at all with v1 boxes, the reliability has been absolutely fine. Personally I like the v1 box, half silver, half black means that it matches (sort of!) most peoples kit.

anyway, once you see the SDI picture then you dont bother looking at the box :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom