sky+ v1, s-video socket - only black and white

darrens

Standard Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've searched the forums assuming that somebody else may have had this problem but to no avail so I'm asking here.

I've just bought myself a home cinema amp (pioneer ax3) and decided to use the s-video to pipe it all together. So I have s-video feeds cables from a dvd player, sky+ box and ps2 all going in to the amp and one s-video cable going from the amp to my tv.

In a nutshell, the DVD and Ps2 work fine but I only get black and white from my sky+ box.

It's a version 1 box.

I haven't tried changing the cable yet (because there's no easy access) so before I try that as a last resort has anybody else experienced this problem.

Is it going into a non-svid enabled scart perchance ? Does s-video have to be enabled on the Sky box ?

Mike.

No, it's going into a specific s-video socket (4 plug DIN) in the TV. And as I say, the DVD and ps2 are wired the same way and they work.

Not sure if s-video needs to be enabled on the sky box. I (think) I've been through all the menus and I can't seem to find one.

Faulty cable ? Switch it with a known-working one.

Mike.

Well, I'll have to do that as a last resort but it ain't the easiest thing to do given the way it is all plumbed in so wanted to check a) if there was some little sky+ trick that I'm missing and b) if anybody else had been able to successfully get it to work.

The s-video works by default on the SKY+ STB, I've never had a problem with that method of connection.
You should try connecting the SKY+ to the TV directly just to make sure it works as the amp may have some options for ntsc/pal switching which could be affecting the socket you are using to take the SKY+ s-video feed.

Say why (?).

Mike.

No, not a Sony, it's a Thompson.

Looks like I'm going to have to have a play with my cabling which I'll hopefully get round to tonight.

Thanks to everybody for their help and I'll report back if/when I find out what the problem is.

Sorry ignore me, I'm getting confused with the NTSC problem I had.

All sockets and cables are dedicated s-video DIN types. No scart anywhere.

If it's anything like my TV (Sony) then you may have to try the input button again. I have my DVD going to an Svideo scart and when I turn the player on it's black and white as the TV has switched to AV2. Pressing the input button again takes me to AV2(S) which works in colour. Similarly, the front input is AV3 but I need to switch it to AV3(S) if I have plugged in an Svideo source (processor monitor out).

Sounds like it may be a similar problem. If you have an input select button (little box with arrow pointing out of it to the right) try pressing it again once you have the black and white pic. Thr inputs seem to go AV1, AV1(RGB), AV2, AV2(S), AV3, AV3(S). Only RGB is auto-detected.

Good luck.

Okay, thanks to everybody for their help but I've found the problem and it was the cabling. Basically one of the pins on the s-video cable had bent as I pushed it in and I hadn't realised. 5 mins careful surgery with a fork and I now have it all working in colour.

Thanks again to everybody for trying to help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom