1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ v1 has died... again...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lmccauley, Apr 6, 2005.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I have an original v1 Sky+ box from when they first came out. At the end of last year I started to get a lot of failed recordings, then one day the box was totally unresponsive. The red light was on, but there was no picture and no amount of button pressing or switching on and off would do anything. So, I took a gamble and replaced the hard disk with a Maxtor 120Gb. That worked fine for the last 4 months.

Yesterday, however, I found my Sky+ box totally unresponsive again. Switched it off, left it overnight, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to try?

Cheers,
    Liam

2. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    maybe try and reformat the drive, (you will lose all recordings though)

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Do you mean take it out of the Sky+ box, attach it to a PC and reformat - hmm, not a bad idea. Yes, it will be a little annoying to lose the 60 odd hours of TV I recorded when I was on holiday for three and a half weeks :mad:

It seems a bit strange that it should be the hard disk that goes after a relatively short time. Any ideas if it could be another component that is actually at fault?

If I do end up ditching this box, what are my options? Can I pay £200 to a retailer and walk out with a Sky160?

Cheers,
    Liam