Sky+ v TiVo - differences

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ratcliffe, Nov 7, 2005.

1. ratcliffe

ratcliffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone point me towards a comparison of the Sky+ and old TiVo systems ? I currently use a TiVo, but its getting worn out and I am almost certainly going to move over to Sky+, but I'd like to see what Sky+ can and can't do against the TiVo first, so that I know what to expect.

Thanks in advance
    Derek

2. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Because of the vast number of extra features that TiVo has, run both Sky+ and TiVo for a month.

You might find you can live without the extra features. Or you might find, like me, that no other DVR comes close, and you can't live without TiVo!

A lot of TiVo users end up keeping both to get the best of both worlds.

Gary's site is a little out-of-date.

There are a vast amount of old and new hacks that extend TiVo's functionality a great deal.

As Sky+ is a closed system , the only hack I know of is an increase in HD size to 250GB, whereas I think a TiVo can take several Terabytes in theory!

You might find that you just need to upgrade your existing TiVo,increase its picture quality with mode 0,increase its disk space to 800GB, or get a second one and network the two. You can stream programmes between each one and get them to automatically record shows when the other TiVo has a conflict.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,058
    there seem to be a few biggies on that list that I'll miss when moving to sky+

- set how many to keep. I record a lot of cbeebies, usually repeating every day, but only keep one episode. So the actual number of programs on the now playing list are limited but always up to date.

- repeat manual recording. Seems limited to weekly. Not good for me as I'd want to record, eg Tikkabilla every day. Series link either won't work, or will record too many (probably)

-season passes. You have 'series link' on sky+, but I think that runs out at the last program in a series. With a season pass it'll sit there patiently waiting for the next series to start - very very handy if you aren't paying attention to TV guides.

- search by name > 1 day away. V. useful if you know a new program is coming up and want to set it up in advance. I don't know how good the sky+ is at skipping days, so maybe its not such a big deal.

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Worse than that - if the program on series link isn't on one week you have to remember to add the program onto the planner and set up series link again. It's a pain in the arse if you're recording things like Star Trek which Sky repeat on a daily basis and then you hit the school holidays - you have to remember to check for when the program is on again...

6. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    As far as I know TiVo is still the only maintenance-free PVR.

You can more or less set-it and forget it.

Stuff I programmed it to search for (directors, actors and keywords e.g. martial arts, the Velvet Undergound etc.) over 5 years ago is still recording today, and I suspect it will go on recording for the next 5 years until I tell it otherwise with ZERO intervention.

In 2001 I went round the world and didn't even bother to log onto my TiVos in the UK. There is more to life than just TV :)
    7 months later they had recorded what I had told them to.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,058

sigh.

Well I suppose I can take some comfort from the fact that having two small kids means I don't watch much of my own stuff these days. And there are always 'ways' to plug a missing week.

8. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137

Really?? That's not my expereince. In fact started to watch Hex off Sky+ (its been building up) and at the end of one episode it stated Hex is not on next week, but will be back in two weeks time. However all the future episodes are on my Sky+ box.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    It's all down to the accuracy of the information that the individual programme companies post to the EPG. Nothing to do with the logic in the box.

10. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yes. However, TiVo has the vast advantage of having extra metadata in its EPG AND a more sophisticated onboard EPG database that is stored locally and can be queried at any time.

This means that you don't get the missing series link problems as often.
    If you are not there to set a series link TiVo is able to auto-recover if its database gets updated in time. Wishlists can be setup so that if for some reason the series link info is wrong, TiVo can still get your program for you by querying on keywords, titles, actors or directors. this also works across multiple channels, and even multiple recording sources, e.g. Sky and freeview at the same time.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've had my Tivo for three years and I didn't know you could do that :D

It is probably time to revisit the instruction book.

I have been thinking about moving over to Sky Plus for the simple reason that I need space in my rack and a Sky Plus box instead of Sky Vanilla plus a rather large Tivo box will leave me room to stick something else in the rack.

12. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Even an unhacked TiVo has a lot of extra functions that you won't find in the instruction book. Check tivocommunity.com.

I would just get a bigger rack:http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16501

:)

Try Sky+ if you can afford it. However a lot of TiVo users go back to TiVo or keep both.