1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky V Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nige106, Aug 8, 2005.

1. nige106

nige106

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I'm planning on getting sky shortly. I have a media centre PC that I plan to record any shows that I want. Therefore are there any other benfits of sky+ over standard sky if I'm not going to be using the record functions?

P.s also whats "mixes" thats happening in September with Sky?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sky+ will give to DD5.1 sound from those channels that support it.

John

3. nige106

nige106

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apart from that, is there anything else?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    It's also got a s-video output which AFAIK, doesn't come as standard on many (if any) standard Sky boxes.

The other advantage of Sky+ is the ability to record two programmes at the same time.

John

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The simple biggest advantage is the ability to record one channel and watch another using the single STB. Hook up a standard digibox via analogue cable to a media centre then when recording you lose the ability to watch SKY D from that source which is costing you £££.

I suppose it's tha age old problem of having dedicated hardware against something which isn't quite as efficent but is far more flexible.

The "mix" packages is the rebundling of the non-premium channels into 6 smaller packages, you then choose at least two of these and can add packages into multipules of two to get the full six. Premium content is then added on if required.

If you wait until September then this shold go live for new customers and be laid out on the online ordering site.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Sky+ is pretty well integrated - it's v. easy to set a recording and effectively it takes place 'transparently'. If you were using a media centre PC to record from Sky, you'd find that your Sky box would suddenly flip to the channel being recorded as the Media Centre started to record your selection. Sky+ can also record two shows from Sky simultaneously (although you then can't watch a third channel off-air, though you can replay an existing recording as you make the two new recordings).

Also, Sky+ makes a 'perfect' recording - it uses the actual bitstream from the satellite so you get exactly the same quality on playback that you get off-air.

As mentioned elsewhere you also get DD5.1 (where the programme has it) and s-video output which generally aren't available on regular Sky boxes.

If all you want to do is time-shift and time-slip, Sky+ will do this in a much more user-friendly manner than a PC would. If you're planning on archiving your recordings then a PC might make more sense.

Gav

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Sky + has an optical out for an amp also. (I don't believe any 'standard fit' Sky boxes do) The ones that do (Sony I think) still aren't 5.1.