1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Users

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dapex, Mar 10, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all, Just curious to see how many people here with HCPC use SKY and to see what cards they use to get sky into the HCPC. I had planned on getting a PVR150MCE as i do still like the thought og the PC being a PVR (despite having Sky+) but I have heard a few people complaining about the poor quality. Obviously i would like a sweespot(xbox into it as well) but as i am plannig on running MCE2005 I gather I would have to buy the sweepspotMCE which then doesn't have the RGB connections.

The PC will eventually be my main source into the TV and PJ (may have sky connected via scart to TV for the wife) but the HCPC will do all my dvd recording from TV.

Any thoughts?

OOC, if I record a program using MCE2005 can i then burn it to DVD to be watched on a standalone dvd player or does the file format make that unrealistic?

Cheers

Dave

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I use the PVR150 with MCE05 and Media Portal - and yes the quality is not good.

I currently prefer Media Portal over MCE as I can use the PVR150 for recording (you can change the quality settings of the PVR150 to a greater degree in MP - u cant in MCE).
    I use another TV card (Lifeview2000) for the TV viewing as MP allows for more than one TVcard and you can assign for one to record and one to view.

As I said though - if you are fussy over picture quality (and sound) then be prepared to be disappointed with the PVR150.

3. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353

4. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mike, just curious about a few things, where have the pirates of the Sky one series come from? from my own experience I thought they were all recorded from sky oringally by people using TV cards. That being the case how could they be any better than you get through sky yourself? (If they are dvd rips or whatever than I can understand that)

I currently have my Sky+ connected via non RGB scart (stop laughing at the back) into a 42" RPTV. Obviously I know that a RPTV will never be that sharp and I stil think that SKY is OK.

Maybe I have just got used to the poor quality ot I dont have high standards (that may explain some of my past girlfriends...)

5. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    -----------------------------------------------

high def rips from the US...... :) however i guess this is a little dodgey talking about this on here (i can totally sympathise why...... by watching these i am ignoring any advertising, however i pay my sky subs, its jsut that i am finding skys broadast quality to be below par now am watching on a 37inch telly.

6. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the Hauppauge cards are not very good at capturing Sky... is it worse than when connecting Sky directly to the same display i.e. the capture card is degrading the signal further. I currently watch Freeview and Sky via composite BNC and S-video on a 42" PWD7 plasma while I am building my HCPC. While it could certainly be better I guess we are limited purely by the poor bandwith and bitrate but I wouldn't want to degrade the picture further via the PC capture card. Does the Black Gold MCE card offer a better Sky picture although the PVR function would then be software not hardware.

7. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the sweetspot, and also the rgb scart > component cable, and after some fiddling the PQ is good. I do run MCE2005, but think MCE is crap and use Meedio. Beware that capturing with the sweetspot seems to be somewhat of a black art, and no good (read: simple and relatively stable) solutions are in sight it seems. most of the capture cards out there are not very good quality.

Personally, I use sky+ for timeshifting, and it serves me well. I would want to do some capturing, but need a free week to sort it all out.

I must say that I did post some questions on the sweetspot support forum, and have not received any acknowledgement, let alone responses to some issues.

The *best* quality so far (and by far the easiest) is a high quality SCART lead from the Sky+ box to the telly (a 46" tosh DLP). The screen is driven by an ATI Radeon X850XT PE, and the HTPC is hooked up via high quality DVI > HDMI lead. I think the overall video path is as good as is possible with todays technology and so-far, I am not too impressed with the whole sweetspot setup. The picture is grainy and sometimes lags (I have a 2.8 P4 with 2 GB RAM doing nothing but DScaler)

DVD playback is stunning (PowerDVD), so I personally believe the Sweetspot is the weak link. I bought the Scart>RGB lead from pluggedin.tv, and that may be a limiting factor as well - for 50 odd quid you get a flimsy plastic Scart connector - not the quality I was expecting for that price, and it may be why the PQ is so grainy.

Having said that, it is still much better then a Hauppage or something similar