sky+ upgraded hard drive now telephone line problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by gadgetfreak, Oct 25, 2004.

1. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upgraded my hard drive, everthing working fine apart from unable to access anything via the telephone line.

All I get is telephone not connected. Phone line is working fine and I have changed the cable which connects the box to the phone line.

Is it possible I have damaged something doing the upgrade as before the upgrade everthing was fine?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Short answer, yes.
    Have you actually done so, no way to really tell.

3. welsbyr

welsbyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had (well, have is probably a more accurate description!) this problem myself. Telephone line connected ok but box claims telephone line not connected. I immediately suspected the wire run in by the sky installer and buzzed it out with my multimeter, all was fine. Rewired it anyway ;) No change :blush: Then I realised that the splitter from the phone socket going to the sky+ box was BEFORE the micro-filter for my ADSL. I also noticed that when the sky box tried to phone home and picked the line up the voltage fluctuation was enough to temporarily knock my connection router's adsl connection out. So, I put the microfilter before the sky box splitter and hey presto, everything worked fine. My router was now stable and sky could dial up to things. Everything was great until I started playing skybet roullette (don't do it!). When you try to connect to your account to withdraw your winnings (or deposit some more betting cash :suicide: ) the box drops the connection and, I presume, tries to call another number. At this point it is now back to the start where it thinks no phone line is connected, yet a full power cycle resolves it until I next go to skybet account! Confused? I am.

This needs more investigation on my part but as I've just ordered a new panny 42in plasma (on the recommendation of this site!) I think that's going to take priority. Plus, lest us not forget that GTA San Andreas is out on Firday :clap:

Ric.

P.S - I have Sky+ V2 with 120Gb Maxtor 7200rpm

4. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    welsbyr

You are a star m8 I think you may have solved my problem.

yes my ADSL also disconnects. I will try installing a microfilter this evening and report back here tonight.

I only want to order box office.

5. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    installed micro filter and now working fine. thanks again guys

6. welsbyr

welsbyr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: