Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky upgrade?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by lennythecat, Dec 28, 2002.

1. lennythecat

lennythecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the options about upgrading (or indeed replacing a faulty) Sky box? Mobile phone companies will press a 'free' new phone on their contract customers every so often, but I don't get the impression this happens with Sky customers. Presumable if you move to new address you would get a subsidised new install?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You get the standard 12 month warranty and outside that it's your hardware and you are responsible for maintaining it.
    SKY offer a set price £65 callout which will cover parts and labour on your digibox/dish/LNB etc and if they are in the mood can be haggles with especially if you are willing to cancel yout subscription.

Mobile companies like you to upgrade phones as there are always new features that generate HUGE profits for them, this is not the case for SKY hardware. Every digibox given away has to be paid for and SKY simply does not make enough profit from subscribers to even come close to being able to copy the mobile phone methods of marketing.

A "subsidised" install is one per household so if you or anyone else in your household has already benifited from one then you can not have another. Of course you can try to hide that fact by using a different address/partners name/different phone number or bank account but that's up to the individual :)

3. lennythecat

lennythecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your post. I presume by 'household', Sky mean an address rather than a person. You said 'if you or anyone else in your household has already benifited', but presumably if one of my children left home (i.e. the original household) they could still get a subsidised install?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

In the real world of course they can but it gets complicated as the T&C's were written by corporate lawyers and if us "normal" folk can make sense of it then it wasn't written well:)

Simply put if you have had a subsidised install under your name at such and such an address you can not apply for a second subsidised install at another address.
    Many people have applied and got a second subsidised install under their partners name at either a new address or the existing address.
    Not advocating such an action of course.

5. lennythecat

lennythecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification. As a (fairly) early adopter of Sky digital I seem to recall the 'subsidised' install when signing up to the full subscription package was around £275 a little more than the £1 deal on offer now.

Fortunately my elderly Grundig box is still going strong. I did have some problems when navigating the menus - it would often overshoot or come out of the menu is if Backup had been pressed (when it hadn't). Forcing a complete software refresh seems to have improved things though.