• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

sky upgrade

A

andyv3

Hi I have to replace my sky+ as it has blown up , can I buy a sky hd box and use it without subscribing to hd as I only really want to use it as a sky+ for now, but will want to upgrade to hd soon as funds permit. - andyv3

:lease:

colham

Novice Member
As far as I'm aware, the cheapest you'll get an HD box without subscribing to HD is £299 - unless you go down the Ebay route.

Do you currently pay the £10 extra for Sky+? If so, you'll get Sky+ and HD for the £10 a month.

If you have a look at a couple of the other threads, theres places that will sell you an HD box for £150 (I used midsat.co.uk). The £150 you save will pay for a year's subs for HD (you never know they might get rid of the HD subs).

A

andyv3

As far as I'm aware, the cheapest you'll get an HD box without subscribing to HD is £299 - unless you go down the Ebay route.

Do you currently pay the £10 extra for Sky+? If so, you'll get Sky+ and HD for the £10 a month.

If you have a look at a couple of the other threads, theres places that will sell you an HD box for £150 (I used midsat.co.uk). The £150 you save will pay for a year's subs for HD (you never know they might get rid of the HD subs).
we get sky+ free because we have the FULL package so do we get skyHD free

Mike999

Novice Member
A

andyv3

oh but can we use it for just sky+ as well because i will upgrade later in the year
and is there anyway of changing the hard drive or does it have to be a usb a hard drive. can some 1 link me to a guide how to do it :lease:

colham

Novice Member
don't know about the hard drive, but for the basic setup + HD, you have to add £10 a month to your costs. however, this might work out ok, especially with the difference between getting a box with or without an HD subscription.

rentagas

You can buy a box for £150 from midsat as a direct replacement for your sky plus box. Youy will not have to pay the extra £10 if you don not want the Hd channels but can opt in to this later if you want.
160GB of SD stuff is quite a lot but you can change the HD for a bigger one if you wish. Changing the HD is much easier than in the sky plus box and requires no special tools. A 500GB upgrade (giving 360GB of usable space) is easy but a 750GB upgrade or above (1TB drives will be available soon) requires a drive format with copy plus software.

colham

Novice Member
I bought mine from Midsat, and it clearly states in the letter you get that the box is subsidised, and if you don't take up the HD subscription, you'll get billed an extra £150.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom