Sky+ upgrade: my experience

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Scapegoat, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I thought it might be helpful to others considering upgrading their Sky+ units to give a brief summary of my experience of doing this.

I had no previous experience of working on electrical equipment/upgrading PCs etc - a total novice - so I printed off the guide from the hummer website (www.hummer.co.uk/disc-change-v2.htm) and bought a 6Y160PO Maxtor 160GB HDD off the internet for just under £60 all in.

Following the instructions was very easy indeed (hardest part was getting hold of the T10 security tool to remove the case - eventually borrowed one from a bloke at work).

The only issue I came accross was the fact it says to line up the heat transfer pads correctly to the chips on the new HDD. The main large chips are in the same place on the new drive as on the old one. However there is one small 'chip' on the new drive that isn't matched on the old drive and therefore does not have a heat transfer pad underneath it. With the shpe of the 'cradle' the drive sits on, there is no way of getting one underneath it. Presume/hope this is not an issue.

In total the operation took about 10 minutes, plus another 10 minutes for the 'system reset' to format the new drive.

Everything worked perfectly and the system records/plays fine. Now have 7 films and 3 1 hour programmes on the HDD and have 85% free. No alterations were made to the new drive settings - just straight out of the box and into the Sky box, and it does not sound any different to the unit that was removed (perhaps even quieter?).

So based on my findings so far I would have no doubts recommending anyone doing this upgrade. No matter how much of a novice you are with these things.

Cheers

2. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    yeah the heat pad thing shouldn't be a problem cos hard drvies in PCs don't have them although they do usually have more air circulation. but it shouldn't matter