SKY+ Unable to copy to DMRES10

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Wooders30, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Wooders30

Wooders30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a search through the forums and read through the threads re this problem but can't seem to find a resolution anywhere. I can't for the life of me work out why every time I try to 'COPY' a program from my SKY box to the DMRES10 I keep getting the message 'copying of this material is not allowed'. I can however 'COPY' the program from SKY box to my clanky old video recorder.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Someone here recently complained to Sky and they claimed that Sky had reset their box so it didn't happen any more. If this doesn't work, you may want to take a look at a product called a Smart Lead HQ Gold sold by KTVision

Some DVD recorders can mistake noise pulses in they syncs for Macrovision copy protection signals, and refuse to copy. If you buy one of these cables, I would advise that you use a power supply with it (any cheap 9V one will do, as long as it has the right plug), as most DVD recorders can't supply enough power via the scart socket to drive it, even though the LED lights up.

3. Wooders30

Wooders30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to Sky this evening and they have suggested the problem may be with my Sky card. Apparently this is a very rare fault that is not listed on their database but the team leader of one of their tech teams knows about it. They are 99% certain that the problem is caused because I didnt get a new Sky+ card when I upgraded and somehow my existing card is holding some encryption details from something like a pay per view program etc. This encryption info is then getting added to my recordings so when I try and copy them I get the unable to copy problem. Their suggested fix is to cancel my existing card and issue a new one. This should hopefully resolve my problem although I probably won't be able to watch / copy anything I currently have on my hard drive. As this affects so few people this fault is way down their list of priorities to fix permanently.

I'll post an update on whether this does or doesn't work when I get my replacement card.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    try not using the copy function, just play the program and hit record on the DVD recorder......that might work.......if not through scart then it should work using the RF output......

obviously only as a temporary solution but at least it might mean being able to keep what you currently have...

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Keep the old card, because you might need it for your PIN number.

6. Wooders30

Wooders30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God I hate SKY with a passion.

I've received my replacement card and guess what - same problem. Made numerous phone calls to SKY and still no resolution. They suggested I contact Panasonic and ask them for a firmware update for recorder as the problem was theirs and not SKY's. Spoke to Panny who quite understandably in my opinion said that they would never provide a firmware upgrade to circumvent any type of copy protection and that the problem was definately SKY's. Bet you're beginning to see where this is going now can't you!! Rang SKY again and they told me that they've checked everything and as far as they are concerned the problem isn't with the way they send their signal but that the DVD recorder is translating 'something' as copy protection when it isn't and is refusing to record. I asked if it may be something to do with my particular box and they then told me that the model of box is irrelevant as they all deal with the signal from SKY in the same way (think they missed my point that it may possibly be a hardware fault with my box).They then told me there was nothing more they could do for me and said we could stay on the phone having a conversation about this for the next 2 hours but it wouldn't do me any good. I asked the chap if they had a problem management team who would pick up this issue and escalate it to r&d or whoever they had set up to investigate these kind of problems and he said probably but we're not aware of this kind of thing in the call centre.
    I then pointed out that I could probably go out and buy a cable that would allow me to get around this problem he said 'we'd never actually tell anyone to do that but thats probably your only way to resolve this problem'.

So, anyone got a contact number / email address that gets me away from the really helpful customer support and into contact with someone who actually gives a toss about trying to sort these kind of problems out?

PS Seriously thinking of buying one of those cables you mentioned Nick, but I'm now also on a mission to try and get someone at SKY to do something about this.