mark800

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is to discuss Sky's Ultra HD service and programmes. It aims to track the developments Sky's Ultra HD service over time, including the arrival of HDR and other enhancements (e.g. Dolby Atmos sound). It aims to flag up and discuss any interesting Ultra HD programming.

Sky launched its Ultra HD service in August 2016, with a growing range of content.

Football

124 Premier League games in Ultra HD will be broadcast next season.

Movies

Sky offers "over 70" movies and "over 30" Sky Store rental movies.

Natural History, Box Sets, Entertainment and Sky Arts

Sky offers a range of additional HD programming, including 30 hours of natural history and documentaries, drama and entertainment (e.g. The Trip to Spain).

In June 2017, Sky broadcast the Isle of Wight Festival.

Formula 1

Sky will show all F1 races in Ultra HD.

Cricket

For the first time, Sky will show the England v South Africa Test series in Ultra HD. Match dates are:

1st Test (Lord's): 6-10 July
2nd Test (Trent Bridge): 14-18 July
3rd Test (Oval): 27-31 July
4th Test (Old Trafford): 4-8 August

Last edited:
There's no point in showing screen shots!

Just to get the flavour is what I was told when I said that logi.;)

Why are sky charging me $199 to install the 2TB Sky Q box which allows me to watch UHD and will charge $20 to install the 1TB box. Why the great disparity?

Why are they charging you in dollars at all?:D

The four pictures don't give me any flavour worth having but everyone to their own taste.

Why are they charging you in dollars at all?:D

it's like oil you get charged by the $.

I got a yankee laptop and it doesn't have the sterling symbol and I got too lazy to write it out.

Last edited:
Don't agree. The four picture are stunning and have nothing wrong unless we need to pay sky royalties
This thread purpose is more important to me than a discussion about pics and how much dollars we need to pay to sky.
hey it was a legitimate question how sky can charge 199 quid to install a box that can get UHD as opposed to 20 quid for one that cant. It may not be important to you but it is to others. and this is a sky uhd forum

Last edited:
Fair point indeed. I didn't understand it enough . Apologies

Why are sky charging me $199 to install the 2TB Sky Q box which allows me to watch UHD and will charge $20 to install the 1TB box. Why the great disparity?

Sky's pricing policy is almost comically cynical. You will never get a coherent explanation.

Because there isn't a logical one, other than supply and market demand.

Hi all,

Currently in a flat in an set of mansion blocks with sky. Looking to get ultra hd but apparently the need to install some new kit but don't say what. Does anyone know what it is? Landlord won't agree to anything without knowing and sky sales won't say what needs to be done.

Is a 2nd dish installed or the current one modified?

Cheers all

Sky have to replace the LNB on the dish. A wideband type is required for Sky Q.

Had Sky Q for a year now and do like it. Though the UHD content, to me, is like watching a good Blu Ray disc, maybe slightly better. It's not a patch on a UHD Disc, but that can be expected I suppose. The big one for me is When Dolby Atmos comes out. I've tried to find out when this is happening but cannot get anyone to put a specific date on it, which i'm assuming mean Sky don't even know yet!

Last edited:
The thread is rapidly going Off Topic - please come back again!

Why is the 2TB more expensive? It's the premium/halo service, much more capable hardware, lots of new broadcast equipment to pay for, upgrading the sets for UHD...

Anybody got any info on Sky introducing HDR, HFR, WCG? I understand the UHD channels are already 50 fps? I think DVB UHD phase ii is scheduled for the end of 2017.

I thought the England v West Indies test matches were going to be in UHD?

The thread is rapidly going Off Topic - please come back again!

I don't see where it was going off topic, every post above what you said was about Sky Ultra HD and that is what this thread is about!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom