linnasak

Hi

have sky q in lounge for sport etc, but would like to send uhd hdr movies to cinema room , 40m away. Any ideas how I could stream to TV and cinema room via LAN?

kevin

This link mentions possibility of copying programs to replacement box and perhaps more extreme keeping old one for other room . Would fix my issue!

John

CAT 5 or 6 over baluns rings a bell with me. If you do a search for 'cat' in this section you should get some results .
Make sure you pick 'this forum' in the search, otherwise you will end up in general chat and you may never find your way back :rotfl:

linnasak

Hi

done a bit of research seems like there could be hdcp issues with over cat 5/6 route, as cost about same gone with 100ft active monoprice cable, arrives early April! Decided to go the full 18G cable route as although only 420 colourspace for sky I want option to try 422 with Apple TV etc. Added £80 to the cable, but also get the SLIMRUN cable which I have used before and will assist when I run through loft etc. 150ft cables seem rare although available on monoprice US site. So checked with string that 100ft sufficient. There is 330ft version at major discount on Amazon currently if you wanted a long run.
Will try running out of zone 2 of Arcam AVR initially into old AVR in other room. Want to check it sends atmos etc. Other route may be from splitter out of Sky Q box, which would also give few more metres of cable run if all the bends adds more length requirement than I measured.

kevin

Hi

done a bit of research seems like there could be hdcp issues with over cat 5/6 route, as cost about same gone with 100ft active monoprice cable, arrives early April! Decided to go the full 18G cable route as although only 420 colourspace for sky I want option to try 422 with Apple TV etc. Added £80 to the cable, but also get the SLIMRUN cable which I have used before and will assist when I run through loft etc. 150ft cables seem rare although available on monoprice US site. So checked with string that 100ft sufficient. There is 330ft version at major discount on Amazon currently if you wanted a long run.
Will try running out of zone 2 of Arcam AVR initially into old AVR in other room. Want to check it sends atmos etc. Other route may be from splitter out of Sky Q box, which would also give few more metres of cable run if all the bends adds more length requirement than I measured.

kevin
100 ft cable? As in 30 Metres? :eek:

Good luck with that.

John

have moved the thread to the cables section , may have a chance of a better answer here :)

linnasak

Yes want in both rooms as best sound system in lounge but limited blackout, too many windows. Music listening also in lounge. Bigger screen in gamesroom and neo batcave. Sound system made up of legacy kit. Bit of a hobby to keep kit from early systems, includes Arcam processor feeding quad 405x3 and meridian 5000 LRC 2x REL SUBS. Sound still quite good and both have 4K projectors. Decided to keep old projector as limited resale vs backup if main projector breaks etc.

I was convinced to do something when couldn’t watch sky uhd football one Sunday afternoon on projector. Lounge had limited light control, cinema room just mini with HD. Also sky won’t supply (sell me) another 4K sky q!

Kevin

rorton

I have read that there is a new Mini coming which will do 4k, not sure how far off that is - imagine they would have issues with 4k over internal wifi - 1080 was a problem for some people!? Fine with ethernet I guess

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
4K UHD/HDR/Atmos is possible with a 30m 'Active' HDMI cable - though Arcam AVR's can be a hassle when it comes to any form of 'Active' cable which steals power from the AVR and connected Display. I would have gone with a Fibre rather than copper solution.

4K UHD/HDR/Atmos over CAT either requires you to compress the video signal of seek out one of the New HDBT Gen3.0 solutions, which are costly

Whatever you go with try and pre-test with the cable uncoiled before you go ahead and 'install' the cable - if the installation is a big hassle I would run a solid core, non-CCA/CCS CAT6 at the same time as the Active HDMI cable and remember Active cables can fail, become damaged or become obsolete.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom