Sky-TV via HDMI / Sky-Denon via phono - TV has to be on HDMI channel to get sound?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by LeeStone, Mar 13, 2013.

1. LeeStone

LeeStone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems like it might have an easy answer - but I'm asking anyway as it's confused the hell out of me!

I have my Sky+ HD box connected to my Samsung T220HD via an HDMI cable. I don't use the TV for the audio output, instead using a set of good quality phono leads, it's connected to the back of my Denon RCD-M38DAB unit.

I've just had a new PC - which means the old one is now connected to Samsung TV mentioned above via a DVI cable.

Okay, the problem is this. If I have the HDMI channel on the TV with Sky showing - the audio comes out of the Denon unit fine. If I then switch the TV to the DVI channel, the audio from Sky stops coming out of the Denon unit.

I have no idea why - because the Sky box audio is connected to the Denon independently of the TV - so how does changing the source on the TV stop sound coming out of the stereo? The TV isn't connected to the stereo in any way at all.

I'm completely confused and have no idea how the two things are related! Can anyone give me an easy answer - and possibly make me feel stupid in the process?!

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    It’s tricky following your connectivity – you mention good quality Phono cables when talking about the TV audio, that sounds like a set of cables from the TV Audio Out to the Denon Amp which would explain why the audio is following the video when you switch between HDMI (SKY) and DVI (PC) on the TV!

You then mention having a set of audio cables direct from SKY to the Denon Amp – ensure these are the only Inputs to the Amp to remove any dubiety!

Assuming you do only have a single Input to the Amp I don’t suppose you have previously programmed one of your Remotes to simultaneously change Inputs on the TV and Denon Amp?

Joe

3. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    What happens if you turn the TV off or disconnect the HDMI lead? Can you still get sound?

.......and, of course, (I am surprised my esteemed colleagues have not mentioned it), what make of Sky box are we talking about?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. LeeStone

LeeStone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the confusion - it was hard to explain. The Sky box is connected to the TV via HDMI and to the Denon with Phono leads. The TV and the Denon are not connected at all - apart from the common connection to the Sky box.

The Sky + HD box is a Samsung variant - not exactly sure which model.

5. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    I repeat..............

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    ?

7. LeeStone

LeeStone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil - sorry for not answering before.

Interestingly I tried this just now - if the TV is turned on and set to the DVI channel - I get nothing from Sky through the Denon - if I turn the TV off, the sounds starts playing again! Turn the TV back on, the sound stops.

If I scroll through the input sources DTV. EXT. HMDI - the sounds continues to work - as soon as I hit DVI - the sound on the Denon goes off. It's like the DVI from the PC to the TV is overriding the audio output from the Sky box to the stereo?

How can the TV be dictating what sound comes through the amp even when they aren't connected!? I'm completely confused.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    Logiciel - 35+ years selling/installing Hi-Fi and AV tells me to always question the very obvious in this type of situation :)

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,501
    If I scroll through the Input Sources' - on What? TV or Hi-Fi Amp?

Joe

10. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,713
    Might be worth checking any CEC control type stuff is turned off, but my guess is that your TV shares the DVI and HDMI electronics to some extent, and as DVI does not normally support audio, the handshaking mutes audio when DVI is selected.

The only work around may be to use VGA instead of DVI, or use an external switch.

11. LeeStone

LeeStone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe - sorry, I don't seem to be explaining too well here. If I scroll the the input sources on the TV - the audio seems to work with DTV/EXT and of course it works with HDMI - but not the DVI.

The comment from noiseboy seems to make sense if the electronics for the HDMI and DVI are shared some way inside the TV. I've checked all of the menu's on the TV and there doesn't seem to be anything I can switch on or off that would change the way the DVI works. I think I'm just stuck with it.

I did unplug the HDMI cable from the TV as well and I still got audio through the Denon unit. However, when I plugged it back in and switch to DVI - it worked once, but after one cycle through the sources on the TV, it resumed not working! lol

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  12. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Sounds odd I know but try pressing Backup on the Sky remote - could be a HDCP issue.

(If you were watching via RF you would probably have a blue screen with "This Display is not HDCP compatible, press Backup".)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  13. LeeStone

LeeStone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil - you're a star! That seems to do the trick - pressing backup when the PC started to output to the TV sorted it! Thank you so much! :)

14. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +897
    That's what we are here for :thumbsup: