SKY TV Throughout house with one box.

Deanspoors

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post so I hope it goes down ok, I've tried searching for an on here before posting but couldn't find one so hopefully someone can help.

I am on with renovating a house at the moment, the house is a bare shell so while it is i'm trying to put in all the cables I may need. My plan is to have my TV and AV receiver in my living room, then another TV in my kitchen connected to the sky box in the living room via a simple HDMI cable and also the same for a TV in my bathroom.

Ok so my questions.. What is the best way to change channel in the bathroom/kitchen when the sky box is in the living room? Is there a device that does not need to be plugged into the mains at the Transmitter end? From my understanding, the devices being talked about require a mains supply.. not ideal for the bathroom.

And in the kitchen, I want to put a speaker in each corner of the room, mainly for music. What sort of receiver would be best to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Dean

Run wf 100 cable for tv points and buy pre made CAT 6 cable to tv points , just put a wall socket in wall with blank plate. Drill hole in blank plate and push through cat 6 cable and tv feed.

Best bet is tv aerial to sky box , then RF 2 to distribution amp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000VEK0I2/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=75x53&qid=1346537253&sr=8-1

Then cable from RF 2 to Amp IN. Then OUT to all your other rooms. That way you can have Sky in every room and Freeview.

Run 1 CAT 6 cable to every room for Networking. Just have an unmanned switch at Tvs for SMART functions etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0021UZNCW/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=75x75&qid=1346538440&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000E5SEQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=75x32&qid=1346538479&sr=8-1

If you have power in your loft then put a switch in your loft , and that will feed all your bedrooms !! Then each bedroom can have another switch if need be. They can daisylink.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There are lots of ways achieve this with HDMI splitters, Loftboxes and CAT 5/6 cables and baluns it just depends if you want HD or SD at the other TV's. I went down the route of HDMI slpitter and long HDMI cables when I done my house renovation, refer to my diagram in the thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-...ing-sky-hd-into-other-rooms.html#post16117769

I would add a couple of things most AV kit requires a network connection so I would install at least 4 network connections to each room and remember if you install a loftbox install the return cable from the livingroom and use the correct faceplates for the loftbox.

You may want consider a central wiring closet i have all my kit under the stairs in a cupboard.

I'd simply have a separate satellite recever in each room.
If it really matters to have encrypted channels in the other rooms, and assuming you don't want to pay for multiroom, then niall campbell's best bet is the usual thing to do.
That doesn't give you HD quality and if you really want that then it's more complicated than "a simple HDMI cable".
HDMI doesn't like being split, and Sky machines particularly don't like it, but it can be done, and then the usual method is to have CAT cables with baluns.

Thanks for all your replies. I do want to try and keep the HD quality. So what I need to do is...

A HDMI > Balun > Cat 6 > Network adaptor, then from the network adaptor I can run a cat 6 cables to each room with a balun on the end going back to HDMI?

and then for IR compatibility I could use the IR over HDMI? or would that not be compatible with a balun?

Sorry about all the questions..

thanks,

Dean

You need two CAT cables in place of each HDMI cable. I don't know what sort of thing is available as a "network adapter" to distribute the channel to several rooms but the suppliers of baluns should be able to give details about that aspect. The details of the IR Injector say that it "works even when the HDMI cable is....extended via Cat5 extenders" so that should be OK. Questions are fine so feel free with them.:)

Run 1x RG6 (coax) and 2x Cat 6 to each tv.

Get an RF distribution amp that allows RF2 pass through. Come out of RF2 on sky box to Distribution amp then out of distribution amp to all tvs via RG6. Then at tv end simply attach a Sky Eye ( that's control sorted)

Saying in total you will have 3 tvs with sky on (including living room tv) get a 1:4 hdmi splitter ensure it is HDCP compliant.

Then you need 2x pairs of Hdmi baluns that use cat6.

So come out of HDMI on sky box to input of splitter, then out of splitter to one transmitter balun, next output of splitter to next transmitter balun and 3rd output of splitter in the local av receiver ( living room)

In each room you will have the corresponding receiver balun, ensure cat 6 is plugged in (out the transmitter and into receiver) use a small hdmi cable in each room and your done.

You CAN split hdmi it's all down to the technicality of it (HDCP, EDID etc)

Hope this is of some help if you want product examples just let me know and I will PM you

I've read that HDMI cables are good up to 12m without losing clarity, so if I get a HDCP compliant splitter then 2x 12m HDMI cables to the external TV's then 2x IR over HDMI's, would that work?

You still need to run RF cable !!

It will pick up Freeview for you BUT more importantly change channels with magic eye

Hi Niall, I was under the impression that I would be able to use this splitter..

Labgear HIGH SPEED HDMI 1.4 3D 4 Way Splitter 1 Device to 4 TVs:Amazon:Electronics

Coupled with this IR over HDMI,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007JIPAE2

From what I've read the splitter is HDCP compliant, and each HDMI can be up to 15m in length, for extra length a Balun can still be used, and the IR over HDMI is the same as a magic eye, except over HDMI. Requiring only one transmitter, then 1 receiver per TV. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Dean

P.S I'm not bothered about free view at the moment. I could always buy a free view box later if I needed and put that into the av receiver.

I've read that HDMI cables are good up to 12m without losing clarity, so if I get a HDCP compliant splitter then 2x 12m HDMI cables to the external TV's then 2x IR over HDMI's, would that work?

At home I have 2 x 15m, 1x 10m and 1x 5m HDMI cables running from my splitter and at work I recently installed 2 x 25m and 2x 10m HDMI cables from a splitter so with good quality cables and splitter you can use longer lengths.

P.S I'm not bothered about free view at the moment. I could always buy a free view box later if I needed and put that into the av receiver.

Yes but run your coax cables anyway.

Deanspoors said:
Hi Niall, I was under the impression that I would be able to use this splitter..

Labgear HIGH SPEED HDMI 1.4 3D 4 Way Splitter 1 Device to 4 TVs:Amazon:Electronics

Coupled with this IR over HDMI,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007JIPAE2

From what I've read the splitter is HDCP compliant, and each HDMI can be up to 15m in length, for extra length a Balun can still be used, and the IR over HDMI is the same as a magic eye, except over HDMI. Requiring only one transmitter, then 1 receiver per TV. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Dean

As Rayferry says , run a RF cable to each room anyway.

It gives you more flexibility if you have the cable there and more viewing choices , or even connecting a Hi Fi for FM / DAB from the tv aerial. Yes you will pick up these signals from a tv aerial.

There are now devices where you can run a home network on good old fashioned RF cable. It works just like Homeplugs. Just buy a 100 metre roll of WF 100 cable.

I would run a length of HDMI 1.4 cable to the furthest room to see what the picture quality was like. It looks like your HDMI distribution amp is 240 volts and so will extend the range of the HDMI signal. I think you will be okay & buying 1 cable will not be too expensive a loss if it doesnt work.

As for the power to use a magic eye system over HDMI ?? I dont know. I have no experience of using one of these. The Sky system over the RF cable is 9 volts , and thats why you need a distribution amp capable of allowing the 9 volts to travel through. Again if you bought just one of these and try it !!

I see the seller is Kenable , possibly of Kenable Cables of which I have bought stuff of the latter.

Phone them up !!

I was under the impression that I would be able to use this splitter
Coupled with this IR over HDMI
If you're as lucky as rayferry and find that your Sky machine is happy with the splitter then they will be fine.
You asked about speakers in one room - is that just for sound from the Sky machine?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom