1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky 'tv Link' for Second TV set?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bradford Blade, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hi guys,

Having now, more-or-less, sorted out my Sky+ installation; I've fed the Sky signal (via the second RF-out socket on the set-top box) through my existing 'terrestrial aerial' co-ax wall plates to my second set in the dining room. I did this by disconnecting the aerials' downlead from the connecting unit in the loft and leaving the pre-installed wall plates/co-ax cable to feed the signal to the other plate in the dining room.

To be fair, I had no idea if it would work, but before wiring a completely seperate co-ax from the box to the second set, I thought it would be worth a try and surprisingly, it works a treat :clap:

However, having bought the Sky "tv Link" to control the set-top from the dining room with the Sky+ remote, I cannot get it to operate. Reading the instructions, it says that I need to use "non-isolated" wall plates, but I've very little knowledge on this. How do I know if I have isolated wall plates, and what's the difference between both? I assume "non-isolated" wall plates are readily available from the likes of Maplin etc :confused:

Can someone help out here, as this is all I really need now to complete a relatively hasle free and satisfactory 'install' :lease: Cheers lads.

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the "mouse eye" takes power from the RF2 output of the sky+ box via a DC voltage that uses the outer shieling on the RF cable, so if the wall plate grounds the outer shield or it is not connected to the plate the eye gets no power.

3. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If your wall sockets are isolated I imagine there will be two tiny ceramic capacitors on a little PCB screwed to the back of each socket's front plate, to isolate ground and inner. Easily (and reversibly) shorted out by soldering two piece of fine wire across their PCB mounting holes in order to get DC to the connector. So long as there are no other dangerous voltages on them of course.

luggsie

4. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hi there Luggsie
    Thanks for the info :smashin: ; I've looked and there's no such capacitors etc., just a square [inch and a half square I'd say] metal plate that the co-ax connector sits/fixes into with a grounding 'bracket' screwed tightly onto the co-ax cables 'shielding'.
    Would a similar process work connecting a piece of copper wire from the outer socket to the cables 'shielding'? AFAIK there's nothing connecting any type of DC current at all.

Cheers again,

LAGAVULIN

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Have you set the sky+ box to enable power on RF2?

Try this

Go int othe services menu
    Then system setup
    Then press "01 and select" this takes you into another menu
    Then choose RF Outlets
    Second option is RF Outlet Power supply - should be "on"

Save the settings and you should be ok. If that isnt it then I'm not so sure what the challenge is now!

Hope this helps

Tone

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone is missing the point:

Your wall plates are not connected together by a single piece of double-screened cable. Instead, they are connected to (probably) a passive splitter in the loft. This happens to give sufficient coupling for the RF signal to pass through but no way is it going to work with the TV Link.

Disconnect the two cables in the loft and connect them together with a simple coupler. The system *may* then work, provided that DC can pass.

However, it's a really bad compromise because it's longer than it needs to be and it's probably "ordinary" TV cable - which could pick up interference.

7. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'll leave this one to the experts !. You may need to borrow a test meter and see what is going on with the cabling.
    The two way passive splitters sold by such as Comet etc do pass DC. I just tested one and it reads zero ohms between all ports. If two TV's were connected to it fed from the SKY box, the one without the SKY eye would offer a short circuit and stop the eye on the other port from getting any power. So check that there arn't any other TV's on line elsewhere in the house which could be doing this.

luggsie

8. Pupster01

Pupster01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm getting rid of N.T.HELL and having sky plus fitted in the next week or so and this is a question i have been meaning to ask

can you use a magic eye through a distribution system/amplifier ?

and if you have sky + do can you watch one channel through the scart and another through the RF?

Im guessing the answer to both will be No but if you dont ask you dont get

( sorry to thread jack but im thinking this could also answer this issue as most new houses will have a distrobultion amp if theres multiple ariel outputs)

9. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Pupster01

Yes you can use the remote eyes providing you use a digital pass through amp as your distribution amp.

And yes if your aerial goes into the aerial socket on sky+ and the RF out is used to your distribution amp then you tune in BBC1,2ITV and Ch4/5 as usual and then tune in the 6th channel as your sky box (defaults to channel 45). Then on one TV select CH6 (sky) and on the other TV select channels 1-5 for terrestrial.

You cant watch a prog on sky and something recorded on sky+ at the same time though, for this you need sky multiroom (another decoder box).

What you can do is record a prog whilst watching (live) another one or record two other stations whilst watching a recorded prog.

Hope this helps.

Tone

10. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hi Fernsehman,

The thing is, when I disconnected the two cables in the loft; the two cables which I reckon (maybe incorrectly) feed the two RF/co-ax wallplates [one in the living room, one in the dining room]; I left them totally unplugged (still are!) from the unit - a booster I believe - which I thought would break the signal. From what I have managed to see (with some difficulty under a pile of insulation fibre-glass) these are two seperate cables, I cannot find any other connector actually in the loft, unless of course, it is: a. buried under said insulation; b. buried somewhere in the actual wall cavity :confused:

However, when feeding the Sky+ boxs' signal into the living room wall-plate, and connecting a co-ax from the dining room wall-plate into my second set, I still get a picture from the box (which is a damn good pic as well), suggesting as you say, that there must be some connection between them. But is it a 'splitter' or is it cabled directly. If it is a 'splitter' in the loft, it cannot be easily located, so I'm lost :(

Thanks for the info though. It suggests what is probably causing the prob, just wish I could deal with it without causing a real mess in an already messy loft :suicide:

Regards,

LAGAVULIN

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hi guys,

Just a quick post to let those of you who've offered differing advice know that I've managed to sort out the prob and I've got the 'tv Link' from RF2 working perfectly.

Fernsehman was right. After some serious searching I found the 'passive splitter' in the loft (what a nightmare :( )...

Coupling both leads directly together DIDN'T immediately solve the prob. So I just started from the Sky+ box and worked my way through checking that the 'tv Link' LED light was getting a signal. Making sure all my cabling and wallplates were connected thoroughly, I finally got a signal to my second set in the dining room :clap:

I reckon it wasn't the wallplates, but a combination of the 'passive splitter' and an imperfect connection in one of my RF cables. The actual theory behind the 'tv Link' working is simple, but the way I wanted to do proved a real headache (using already existing RF/co-ax wallplates connected in my house), but my situation proves it CAN be done! :thumbsup:

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

12. garyurwin

garyurwin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Hopefully someone can help clarify something for me. I currently have a Sky Digibox and TvLink magic eye which all works fine.

I'm planning on upgrading to Sky+ and would like to know if my original TvLink magic eye will plug into the new Sky+ and continue to work as normal?

I guess my main question is - if I use my new Sky+ remote with my old magic eye (in my bedroom) will I be able to use all of the Sky+ functions e.g., record / playback etc?

I've read a few articles suggesting I may need to buy a new TvLink+ to use the new functions in another room.......reading these articles above perhaps I don't?

Has anyone just "had a new Sky+ box installed and continued to use their original TVLink and control the record/playback setting using the new handset"?

Thanks
    Mondy

13. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi
    your old magic eye will work no probs as long as you turn on the 2nd outlet supply in the installer menu, of the new plus box , and maybe an extre sky plus remote if you need one !ps all the record functions will work as they do in the lounge

14. garyurwin

garyurwin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll place my order for my new Sky+ right away!

Many Thanks! :thumbsup: