• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky TV - Hi-Def Channel List!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Everyone,

The following Hi-Def Sky Digital channels are now broadcasting in full HD picture quality, to those who can utilise such channels. You may need to contact Sky directly though, to receive them, as they don’t physically transmit anything to non-HD viewers. (You’ll simply get a Call Sky on 0870 message instead!)

158 – Artsworld HD
291 – Sky 1 HD
311 – Sky Movies 9 HD
312 – Sky Movies 10 HD
405 – Sky Sports HD
557 – Discovery Channel HD
593 – National Geographic Channel HD
756 – Sky Box Office HD
757 – Sky Box Office HD

Each channel broadcast the same programming and schedules, as per their regular non-HD equivalents.

Pooch

robyoung

May be a stupid question, but how can we utilise these channels when the Sky HD box has not even been released? Is there anything else on the market that will allow us to watch these channels in HD??

Soory bit confused. :confused:

Rob

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi Rob,

robyoung said:
May be a stupid question, but how can we utilise these channels when the Sky HD box has not even been released? Is there anything else on the market that will allow us to watch these channels in HD?? Sorry bit confused. :confused: Rob

I presume it's for people who have access to Sky and suitable have HD hardware, or who will be getting suitable hardware soon. Other than that, I don't know. Sorry - I only deliver the news! I can't tell you how to get the channels, other than do what it says on the Sky blue/yellow screen prompts that tell you to phone Sky to find out more. :(

Pooch

robyoung

Cheers Pooch for the prompt response. :smashin:

Dont worry i wasn't looking for all the answers from you! Just curious!

I called that number and you end up going to an automated message telling you to log on to Sky.com/HD and register your interest! Seems a bit premature of Sky to be launching these channels with out selling the proper equipment first. Unless they are just testing something. I dunno.. my brain hurts!! :confused:

Rob

shaithis

There surely has to be people testing this currently :rolleyes:

The channels are probably for them, Sky need to share the love tho :D

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I assume it's like Beta software, with authorised testers checking for possible bugs before it's on general release.

Can't wait! :)

KevD

Distinguished Member
CheekyKid said:
I would expect more hd channels though if they want to charge a premium
The thing here is that Sky can upgrade there own existing channels to HD as they have to back it wholey. Many of the other broadcast channels couldnt afford the upgrades needed, I would think :confused:
This is why it will be a while before I commit to paying premium for the equipment and limited channels, I would only watch Football, Movies, occasionally Geographic and Sky 1 for the US TV shows only 4 channels :eek:
I think they should be offering early adopters a cheaper rate for the service not a premium (I would of course think that anyway :devil: )

TonyA

robyoung said:
May be a stupid question, but how can we utilise these channels when the Sky HD box has not even been released? Is there anything else on the market that will allow us to watch these channels in HD??

Soory bit confused. :confused:

Rob

Probably for the likes of Comet, Currys etc... who will no doubt get early release models of the Sky HD receivers to enable them to show Sky HD wares to the general public, and start the sign-up drive to get people on board.

Prices and availability have still not been announced and its about time we knew when we can get hold of the kit!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Click Here for details on the possible cost of Sky HD set-top-boxes, subscriptions, etc. Just be warned, though... it's not going to be cheap! :eek:

Pooch

KevD

Distinguished Member
With the Telewset TVDrive available soon, I may switch to Telewest. I will lose a couple of channels but if I stick out the year I may get a nice invitation to rejoin Sky, with the HiDef, on a good deal.

Starburst

Distinguished Member
KevD said:
With the Telewset TVDrive available soon, I may switch to Telewest. I will lose a couple of channels but if I stick out the year I may get a nice invitation to rejoin Sky, with the HiDef, on a good deal.

That is actually a damn good idea.
New TW customer gets free install and you have BBC HD content plus PPV movies and in a year or so SKY HD will enter into it's marketing stage with incentives and price cuts.
Who knows by then TW may also be carrying the SKY branded HD channels and you may not want to leave:)

KevD

Distinguished Member
Starburst said:
That is actually a damn good idea.
New TW customer gets free install and you have BBC HD content plus PPV movies and in a year or so SKY HD will enter into it's marketing stage with incentives and price cuts.
Who knows by then TW may also be carrying the SKY branded HD channels and you may not want to leave:)
I have actually been doing this for quite a while. I originally had Cable London but switched to Sky Digital when it came out, I had to pay for the equipment but got top tier sub at half price as I worked for Dixons. Then Cable London were taken over by Telewest and I got a good re-connection offer through them. Went back to Sky through a promotion, and somehow after being diconnected through non payment carried on recieving for nearly a year with no Charge :eek: Then back to Telewest on another reconnection deal and now back with Sky likewise.
Its a bit like the people who switch Credit Cards to keep on the 0% offers :thumbsup:

Starburst

Distinguished Member
wormvortex1337 said:
are people gonna have to pay for the hd channels?

Channels that are PAY in SD are going to be PAY in HD which means a HD premium ontop of any existing SKY package.
TW at this time have no HD channels but they do have some "free" HD programs on Teleport and will have PPV HD movies very soon.

Both platforms will intime have HD content from either the BBC or advert driven broadcasters which would mean that content would not require any further payments.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom