1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ TV Best Picture RGB

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Captain KOB, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Captain KOB

Captain KOB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have just purchased a high quality, OFC, Gold Plated terminals, AV Cable which gives me Scart to Component (3xRCA) Red/Green/Blue direct. I was hoping to use this cable to connect the RGB output on the Sky box directly to the component input on my projector. It doesn't seem to work. Is the RGB output on Sky not a true RGB output? Any ideas on how I can best connect the Sky to the projector for the highest PQ? Surely it will involve the RGB output. I cannot see what else the cable is designed for. And yes the Sky output is set to RGB...
    Many thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If you want component from a digibox then you will need to feed the RGB scart output into a suitable convertor and then into the projector. A simple cable will only work if the digibox is capable of sending component via scart which as you have found out it doesn't.

3. Captain KOB

Captain KOB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst, I have also tried it with a "Presenter 4 RGB to RGBHV Sync Converter" model CSR2200, manufacturer CYP. I bought it at Maplins and it says... "The Presenter 4 will convert any RGB video signal from DVD or Digibox, connects to any RGBHV (15.6kHz) video input on a plasma or projector." This connects Scart to a 15 PIN Dsub via this little black box. It has its own power supply and I was able to get a picture on a standard LCD PC monitor... albeit with a slightly green tinge and a few fuzzy lines across the top of the picture. I assumed this was because it was a PC monitor... but surely this should work on a projector? It says equipment must be 15.6 kHz ... what is this anyone??
    Thanks

4. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i use a js technology rgb to component converter from sky+ to screenplay 7205 projector picture quality is very good

5. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately this is a common problem, the Sky box is RGB, which in fact is RGB4/RGBS or RGB with composite sync. Your projector requires component YUV which is a completely different signal format, to confuse things the manufacuters colour code the connectors RGB.

Depending which projector you have you may be able to configure the component inputs to accept RGBS, with sync either on a sync connector or the composite video input, see the Profigold PGV7405 or 7410 scart to RGBS cable.

One solution, although not cheap would be to use an RGB to YUV converter, these start from about £80.

Andy.

6. Captain KOB

Captain KOB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I am going to have a bit more of a play. There seems to be several settings that can be changed on the projectors. If anybody has done this before on the NEC VT650 or the DELL MP4100, please let me know. The older NEC certainly indicates in the manual that it is capable of displaying various types of component signal but states it may not recognise all of them when source selector is in "auto" mode... which mine is. The DELL has three separate component inputs; Component I (STD 3 x RCA R/G/B), 15 PIN Dsub and the new HDTV M1 input... certainly when searching for a signal, it seems to go through about six variations judging by the OSD. If I discover anything new myself, I will update you all for future reference. Cheers

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi CK

as Andy points out, the easiest way to do this is to convert the signal to work on this projector. You can either go for an RGB to component convertor, or an RGB to VGA convertor.

If you want to get better quality then you can use a PC to take the signal from the Sky box and then display it through the VGA connection. This is more expensive, but the benefit is a greatly improved picture quality..

have fun :)