sky trying to grab even more more???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by brummybloke, Jul 23, 2004.

1. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just recieved a phone call from some woman saying she was from sky and was trying to get me to have an ' extended warranty' on my installation?? what the fudge?

i had it 3 years ago and she was going through all this rubbish about dish breaking down, reciever going call ouot charges blah blah, she didnt give me a second to speak she just carried on and on and then said she needed some details to set up the direct debit. not once did she ask me if i wanted it.
    luckily i take no ****e and said go away, nothing wrong with it for 3 years and never had this warranty and i cetainly am not paying an extra £6.99 per month for it.

have sky resorted to scaring customers to get an extra £94 per year per customer??

and it was an agent of sky as i phoned the number back and it was confirmed via some message

can try for yourself if you can be bothered

0127 386 1500

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's not uncommon for all manufacturers/retailers or service providors to offer extend warranty cover, usually quite expensive but some people prefer the safety of such a product.

I have some warranty cover on a few products and non on others.
    So you got a pushy phonesales rep, shocker:)

3. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    except that i have never had any additional cover, and the install is 3 years old. i have had sales people phone up before but not on an item 3 years old.

are they going to employ a load of 16 year old out of school with no qualifications to throw stones at everyones dishes??

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    What difference does the age of the install make or if you have not had any extended cover previously? Granted it's usual to get some sort of offer within the first 12 months but most electrical products/owners do not have an ongoing relationship with the supplier like digital TV does.
    Whoever is making these offers has a list of SKY subscribers and is doing the rounds, you have the option to take the offer or not, end of story.

Probably too expensive to employ kids and stones, software is a much more cost effective method to cripple hardware:)

5. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Aint that the truth - latest update has disabled my recording and playback function... hopefully I get call out techy gratis.

I live in hope.... :cool:

Rgds Steve

6. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is a discrace that you have to pay to get the equipment fixed full stop. They are making you pay to fix equipment that you need to use a service that you are paying them £40 a month for.

If your equipment breaks down and you choose not to pay them to fix it, you still have to pay subscription for the full cancellation period. Basically you would be paying them for nothing.

I partly understand that you pay for the equipment in the first place to cover developement costs. (Even that is questionable, because they have to pay for the deveopment just to stay ahead of the competition anyway.)

I do not understand however, why I have to pay twice.

It is not the same as paying for an extended waranty for a television, as once you buy the television, you do not have to pay £40 a month to use it.
    If you rented the television (also a service) from a shop, they would not expect you to pay to fix it if it broke down.

I also agree with you that they should not be ringing you at home, to ask you to pay extra for the warranty. If I wanted it I would ring them.

Just because other companies do this, does not make it acceptable.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    First of all YOU own the SKY hardware, therefore once you are out of the 12 month warranty period you are responsible for the repairs of said equipment and on the flipside you are free to sell the hardware if you so choose. A SKY digibox is given to a new subscriber Free of Charge and there is a large subsidy on the installation costs depending upon which channel package you take.

You will find the same applies to many services/products, for example do you have a gas or electric cooker?
    You probably do and you bought it from a shop but pay a gas/electricity supplier as an ongoing expense, they are not responsible for the upkeep of the cooker are they?
    As for the TV example, you have to pay the license fee if you are using a television with a tuner and the BBC are not going to cover the costs of any repairs:)
    Comparing a TV rental to purchased outright SKY equipment is not valid.

Cable companies choose to loan you the STB etc for the duration of the subscription, that means they are responsible for the repair of the hardware but also means that once you cancel they take they hardware away.

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Does your mobile phone provider give you a free replacement for your phone if you break it? Do they hell......... unless you pay for INSURANCE! Where's the difference? :laugh:

It's your equipment - if it breaks, you pay to fix it.

Stop whining and get your wallet out. :devil:

A. Dork

9. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'A SKY digibox is given to a new subscriber Free of Charge and there is a large subsidy on the installation costs depending upon which channel package you take.'

I had to pay £300 for my SKY+ box. In the above case why should you get it free when your new and not when you have payed a subscription charge for years.

'You will find the same applies to many services/products, for example do you have a gas or electric cooker?
    You probably do and you bought it from a shop but pay a gas/electricity supplier as an ongoing expense, they are not responsible for the upkeep of the cooker are they?'

I bought my electrical and gas appliances from a supplier and have my gas and electric supplied by a different company. I could choose to use any supplier with the appliances. I can not use my SKY+ box to view anything but SKY. It is a piece of equipment thats sole use is to receive the £40 worth of channels I pay them for. Therefore the two examples can not possibly be compared.

'As for the TV example, you have to pay the license fee if you are using a television with a tuner and the BBC are not going to cover the costs of any repairs'

Again, I did not pay the BBC for my television. A TV can also be used for many other purposes than watching BBC. If the TV was sold to me originally by the BBC and all TVs could be used for is to view BBC channels then then Yes, I would expect them fix it free of charge.

'Comparing a TV rental to purchased outright SKY equipment is not valid.'

Again, the box can not be used for anything but to watch SKY. If you are not receiving a SKY signal the box is useless. So why should you have to puchase the box outright. It should be supplied to you free and then returned when you cancel your contract. If SKY want to charge for the box then it should be able to used for other purposes. I compare The receiver to a rented TV because you can only use it when you pay the subscription (rental charge.

'Does your mobile phone provider give you a free replacement for your phone if you break it? Do they hell......... unless you pay for INSURANCE! Where's the difference? '

I did not break the receiver, it stopped working. I have a contract mobile and if it stops working during the period of my contract, then YES, they do replace it free. They also give me a new phone either way after 12 months. As long as I continue to pay my monthly contract then they will continue to fix it free of charge. The insurance would only cover me, if I broke it or to cover any calls that someone makes if it is stolen.

You can however choose not to take a contract and then it would not be covered after the warranty. But in this case you only pay as you use it and there is monthly fee incured. You also have the option now to but a mobile that can be used with any supplier.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I did say a SKY digibox which is not the same thing as a SKY+ box and nobody gets a SKY+ free of charge. You are being treated no different to anyother subscriber, accept it or just stew in you anger:)

Nothing I say here is going to change your view I know that, if you can not accept that the digibox/SKY+ is your own personal property and therefore you are totally responsible for it's upkeep then the discussion will go nowhere.

Yes SKY could cover all repair and servicing but exactly where do you think the money is going to come from? One call out could easily wipe out any profit from a single subscriber and considering there are over 7million subscribers SKY could go broke in under a year. Try to get an independer dealer/installer out for £65 with all parts and labour included for any fault, makes SKY's fee look pretty darn reasonable.

11. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do accept that I own the equipment. What I do not accept are the reasons for this. It is just a excuse to charge us more money.

I have had SKY with the full package for 12 years now. I have had reason to call them out for repairs 3 times. Therefore I have paid the equivelent of £5760 for the subscription. I don't believe that SKY having to pay their employee for 3 hours work would bankrupt the company. Especially when as you say they have 7 million subscribers paying the same.

For this reason I don't understand how you can say that 1 call out could wipe out the profit from a single subscriber.

The only reason they get away with it is because we let them. Try cancelling your subsciption and see how fast they change their minds about how much to charge you.

Also I am not paying an independant dealer £40 am month for subsciption. Why should they do it cheap?

Cheers

12. Sutty

Sutty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can sympathise on the call. They ARE very agressive and play on your fears by going on about the cost if it goes wrong. And its not as if you can go and take out a new subscription.

Other than that, the arguing in this thread is a little petty and misses the point of the original post.

13. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Todda I sympathise with you mate . I can see Starburst points and as always are excellent and of course by the letter of the law so to speak correct but I agree with your view/points .

Its about Choice in my View.You get what your given with Sky you cant compare them to a mobile phone company brand new £350 free upgrades ect non stop .
    try telling them your cancelling sub they cant give you a new one fast enough
    (thats how to keep the customers dialing)

Ive had Sky similar time to yourself Sky+ couple of years ive seen countless offers being given out to new customers but never recieved anything and if something goes wrong ,pay through the nose .

If my Internet goes wrong I expect my ISP to deal with it and they do excellently i might add (with great customer service because I chose that company for that reason ) but if my modem breaks I dont expect them to pay for the same reason I chose that modem after reading reviews and going into a shop and personally picking it .

Ill put it another way . If there was 8 other satalite Digital companys which offered Exactly the same service and hard drive machines ect would you get a different service from Sky ?
    They sell a very unstable product that can be affected by many things not like say a cooker or TV which you dont expect to go wrong in the first 5 years a Sky+ most certainly will which is fair enough but would be nice for them to recognise that by giving a replacement rather than trying to coin it in with insurance and repairs.

A tv company doesnt offer the extra insurance they dont need to get the extra money thats usually done by an insurance companies offering extended warrenties to earn money .Its a fiddle . Sony dont call you if you buy a Sony TV

Sky do the whole thing themselves

Ive never liked Sky they have us over a barrell but I love TV so i dont buy from them if theres a choice.

If they call me for instance for Skytalk I say no and when they say why I tell them i dont like Sky .I personally wont have anything from Sky if theres a choice for me elsewhere .

Im sorry if people think my post is off topic I personally think they are linked but no offence meant to anyone at all .

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Hmmmm.
    You do realise that SKY probably make tens of thousands of service calls every year, some free of charge within the warranty period but most outside of the warranty to subscribers paying anything from £160 to £480 a year?
    We are not talking about a single service call a year, if that was the case then I would totally agree with you that they can easily afford it:)

Now the cost of that callout includes an employee, transport, the equipment, the insurance, replacement hardware both new and refubs etc etc etc all of which if done by a private company would cost a customer far more than the £65 SKY charge for out of warranty call outs.
    Lets assume it's a simple dish alignment issue, do you honestly think that can be done for a few quid or would it be more closer to £65?
    What about a major fault, the LNB is knackered and the cabling is old and worn, so he replaces the LNB and cable with new and then checks the alignment of the dish, job takes upto an hour of his time. How much would that cost and then assume this is taken out of your annual subscription and don't forget the majority of your subscription covers the running of the business including a couple of Billion in programming costs.
    What about something simplier, a digibox swap out. You can buy a used digibox on ebay from £40 upwards, slap on delivery and a 3 month warranty then the £65 call out is again reasonable but SKY do as circumstances dictate swap broken boxes with brand new digiboxes, the £65 call out is then a bargin.

I know that you won't accept any of the above as sufficent reason to make you pay for the upkeep of your own property but I do wonder if your principles would stretch to giving SKY the cash if you sold your digibox after cancelling SKY though:)

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's not arguing.
    It's a honest and frank exchange of opinions about a subject we all have in common:)

What was the point anyway?
    A subscriber got a call from someone claiming to be SKY offering a warranty on his SKY system, a bit heavy handed but aren't all phone sales reps?
    He rejected the offer and then the thread expanded to cover all aspects of service costs and call outs which seems to me a good expansion of the original post.

16. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starburst

I don't think we are ever going to agree on this one. I do think a lot of your ponts are valid but I believe we just have a different opinion on them.

I don't think the majority of customers have more than one call out a year, and if they do then it is a problem with a product that SKY supply. The service is obviously not impossible to provide because cable companies manage it.

I agree with redwing, that SKY have us over a barrel because they are the only company that provide this service, as well as a lot of his other points.

You might be surprised to hear me say this Starburst, but it because SKY are the only ones to provide this service of this quality that I am quite happy to pay £40 it.
    I don't mind the subscription charge one bit as I think the general product is very good. Everything they do, they do better than the competition. I just think they take advantage of this fact a bit.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.There will always be a difference of opinion about this type of thing and no one opinion is more correct than another. It is just a matter of what service each individual is happy to pay for.

Cheers

17. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I agree. Sky is a lifestyle choice. THere's little point in going for a cheap package, you'd just as well go for the whole Sky+ thing.

I had it and it was good but I just felt that the subs kept going up and up. It's only TV after all. At nearly £500 a year, to me it got a bit silly. I mean I could buy a lot of Xbox games, DVD's etc. for that.

I now have Freeview and it's a huge improvement over Ondigital. The interface is nearly up there with Sky so I'm happy. I do miss some of the Sky channels but I don't miss the subs. Also, Sky+ has yet to be effectively replicated in te freeview market. Hope it is soon. I might be tempted back if Sky+ were free. Paying £10 a month to use my own hard drive was the final straw for me.

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's true the cable companies use the "Loan" system but that works for them for two reasons, first there is no non-subscription option for their digital channels and second the TV business is heavily subsidised by the telecoms and internet arms of the companies. Something I suspect SKY would kill for but don't have and have to make their money and profits from TV supply alone with a few million from additional marketing etc.

As you say theough the fundemental point raised in this thread is down to personal opinion and that is not based on facts, it's what you consider to be fair or just and that can not be argued against without it turning nasty and this is a friendly discussion and personal opinions are just that :)

19. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve

SKY+ is free to use now if you have more than one premium channel. If you only want the minimum package however, you are probably better off getting some other box like TIVO. My appologise if I am pointing out something you already know.

cheers

20. brummybloke

brummybloke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i liked the comparison with the internet, i pay telewest £35 per month and it gives me a service including the modem, if it goes tits up they repair it and solve the problem ( all be it after hanging on the phone for 20 minutes at 50 pence per minute) or call someone out to repair the modem. my subscription is as i saw it to sky,is for the service and include the reciever and dish in the service as if i did not subscribe i would not have either the dish or the reciever as they came when i ordered the package i wanted.
    when i had a problem recieving sky about 7 months ago i telephoned them and they helped me over the telephone and told me that an engineer would check the problem if the problem persisted ( crappy signal for 6 hours on my day off, a killer i tell you) .
    the problem rectified itself and that was the end of it but i was not in any warranty at the time and i was not told i would be charged for the engineer.

21. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, I know, I had Movies (or should it be called 'Movie', such was the variety?). I realised at that point that Sky was gently herding me into paying ever higher subs for services that I really didn't want. My fault entirely for falling for it but I had to call it a day in the end.

Sky+ is brilliant and until freeview get their hardware and EPG up to speed, I'll miss it greatly. I don't miss movies though or about 800 of the channels I now don't have to scroll through.

I think it's a little rich of Sky to sell + boxes for £200, tell you it's your property and then charge you to use all it's features. They make no secret of it and I went in with my eyes open but I always felt a bit done over by that one.

I can buy a freeview PVR and use it to my hearts content.

22. redwing

redwing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Brummiebloke .

I compared it with the internet as I chose that service ,My point was choices .

There is no alternative for me with Sky+ I have to have them

I chose an internet company that if it goes wrong I pay nothing take a look at what i said and why I chose them , Telewest is not the only choice for ISP if it is and they are charging you large amounts with bad service then you should start a thread on an Internet forum complaining about them but they are not the only Internet company in the country .

Sky can charge as much as they want . do what they want and the only option we have as viewers is to cancel.

Im not argueing with just making a small point .

I hope everyone is satisfied with Sky and get a great service but sometimes its good to say where you think a company is going wrong we dont really get a good shout in this country .