1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + today

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by STOWITBELOW, Nov 24, 2003.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    New today, I couldn't resist their offer. Just thought I'd post the experience / result. Rang on last Wednesday, arranged for upgrade, this Monday fitting. 10 am engineer phones "I'll be there between 11am & 3pm" 11.30 he arrives, polite & helpfull having already done some instalations,another 3 & mine to do. Cracks on with the job. all plugged in & running within the hour. Not working in full as Sky had to fiddle about & activate it after, this was done in about 2 hours. Picture quality as good as my old box (excellent on my 50" projector), seems easy to drive, thus far I'm well happy! If only my original Sky installation had been as pleasent! What he told me.... I may encounter conflicts with my Sony video as the box (a Pace) had a Sony chip in that had in some cases caused problems. Fortunatley the video is being placed elsewhere I've not much use for it now. He also said there where problems sometimes with dolby sound, to 'reboot' the box to cure them. Also there were similar issues with recording dolby. He explained there were software uppgrades to solve this in the pipeline. (I've not experienced any of this yet). The only downside, the box looked Silver on the web, but is actualy grey, apparantly the only colour available. Silver would match my other stuff.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    If its grey, you've got a version 1 box, as opposed to the newer version 2 which is white and much smaller.

Don't let that worry you though. I've got both and think the version 1 has a better picture quality.

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Wite or grey? I think its grey (ish) but the engineer told me it's the mk 2, & it's quite petite. I think I should get my eyes checked - thats why I've a big TV!!

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    If the revolving LED display is in the middle then it's a version 2.
    If it's on the left hand side its a version 1.

I wouldn't call the version 1 petite, it's quite big actually.
    So by the sounds of it you've got a version 2 and need your eyes testing!

Glad to hear the install went well.... I did mine myself because I don't trust half trained baffoons climbing our roof without cat ladders and drilling carelessly through walls and windows.

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Version 2 - for good or bad!!
    My first Sky install although I wouldn't describe the 'engineers' as a buffoons, it took 3 visits ( different engineers - intermitant fault) & a new box to get it working right!! This chap I felt was a professional & was keen quick, also telling me a little of his Av setup.

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I was most pleased with my Sky+ install which was just over a week ago (and twas a free upgrade too, hurrah for staff benifits) and I am more than happy with it. Have read a few problems about crashing boxes etc etc but so far I have had no problems at all - although still early days I know. The ease with which you can record etc is great. It still amazes me that you can watch something your still recording etc! Maybe I'm easily amused! :hiya:

But overall I am very happy with it. My only small problem with it is I have noticed the picture seems a little more washed out than my old standard Sky did (RGB). But that aside I would never go back.

Oh and my engineer was also a very helpful guy, we spoke AV stuff the whole time he was here. Nice chap.

:clap:

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would reckon 95% of the installers are perfectly capable, considerate professionals. Last time I had an install, I got the other 5%. The made a hell of a mess and I've always done it myself since.

Haven't heard many complaints so I guess I was very unlucky.

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Time will tell but so far I'm in the 'won't go back' crowd. Programs I wanted to watch but recorded cos there was stuff on t-other side but couldn't be ***ed recording on vid, looked at the excellent program guide, noticed they clashed with others, one touch & they're on file to watch when there's nowt on. The downside? I don't have enough spare hours in the day to watch it all !!!! We'll see how I go on for 'archive' stuff.