Sky to Virgin RF out issue

jayrite68

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I will shortly be moving from Sky to Virgin and would like to maintain the same set up as I have got presently but understand there is no RF out on a Tivo box.
At the moment I take a feed off the sky box fro the RF out upto a amplified booster/splitter in the loft and the distribute this signal into four rooms. In two of the rooms I have sky magic eyes to change the channel.
I am happy with the quality of the signal/picture so do not require a HD quality feed.
Can someone who has done similar please advise what products I need to enable the same set up with my new supplier.
Can the magic eyes still be used?

Thanks for your time.

Sorry to report that a Virgin tivo box does not have an RF output. You are going to utilise the SCART socket to attach a RF modulator. In the 'old days' we used to advise you used a VCR to generate a RF signal but I guess few people still have one. I'm sure someone else will be able to advise on the 'magic eye' solution.

Programmable Universal Modulator | Maplin

Last edited:
hi there i will be doing the same soon but might be looking do do hdmi over cat5/6 cable but if not will be doing the same as what you are looking at doing so you will need the following:

Mercury 350.111 12V 250mA RF Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This it so go from the scart out to take you to coax you use to your amp booster in the loft then this:

Global Invacom TV Link Plus Adaptor with PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This is to generate the small voltage needed to use the magic eye's you have in place to control your new virgin box. I hope this helps and if i am wrong in what i have put i hope someone will put me and you right

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If i remember correctly on a tivo selecting HDMI out disables the analogue outputs. The OP should check before buying a modulator.

hi there i will be doing the same soon but might be looking do do hdmi over cat5/6 cable but if not will be doing the same as what you are looking at doing so you will need the following:

Mercury 350.111 12V 250mA RF Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This it so go from the scart out to take you to coax you use to your amp booster in the loft then this:

This is to generate the small voltage needed to use the magic eye's you have in place to control your new virgin box. I hope this helps and if i am wrong in what i have put i hope someone will put me and you right

Pretty sure Tivo boxes won't work with Magic Eyes. You would need a modulator that adds magic eye support (or a seperate remote ir extender).

eg

Triax TRI Link KIT Modulator View Control Freesat FTA SKY | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I was only going on another threat that I ready on the virgin media community site. That's what the:

Would be for to give the magic eye the power required to work and also has an ir sender to go infront of the ir reader on the TiVo box to send signal ?

Pretty sure Tivo boxes won't work with Magic Eyes. You would need a modulator that adds magic eye support (or a seperate remote ir extender).

eg

Triax TRI Link KIT Modulator View Control Freesat FTA SKY | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I was only going on another threat that I ready on the virgin media community site. That's what the:

Would be for to give the magic eye the power required to work and also has an ir sender to go infront of the ir reader on the TiVo box to send signal ?

That's a similar device to a Tri-link. It converts magic eye signals back to infra red

That's a similar device to the tri-link adaptor I linked to. The tri-link combines the modulator and the infra red repeater into one unit.

That's a similar device to a Tri-link. It converts magic eye signals back to infra red

That's a similar device to the tri-link adaptor I linked to. The tri-link combines the modulator and the infra red repeater into one unit.

That sounds like a better option then as you won't need 2 devices if that one does it all thank for the info. Also don't suppose any of you can help with my other thread I have going?

Hi all. Got virgin installed yesterday so I've been searching for a way to get around the magic eye. Like the OP, I have everything set up through RF and coax cable, into booster/splitter and then it runs into two separate rooms.

Been reading the thread but all the technical jargon is a bit confusing. This is what I've picked up, please correct me if I'm wrong.... You need to purchase a Programmable Universal Modulator (one like mike7 posted above). You then plug this into the scart and thus now provides you with an RF output. You would then plug in your coax out cable and it should work like it did with the sky. Is this correct? The only debate is that it may not work with the HDMI plugged in as this overrules it?

Any more advice is greatly appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom