• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ to Sony str-dg910 connects

scuba6936

Standard Member
Hi All
I have just become the proud owner of a Sony Bravia 40T3500 and a Sony str-dg910 amp they are both great, my problem is which is the best way to connect my sky+ box to the amp to utilise the upscaling ability of this amp.

Cheers

Charlie

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
There is no way to do upscale SKY as S-Video is poor anyway and all you would be doing is upscaling a poor picture. Connect your SKY+ box via a QUALITY Scart cable to a RGB enabled Scart socket on the TV and make sure the picture settings are RGB not PAL and 16:9 not 4:3, and do not forget to save settings.
Better still get SKYHD it is worth it.

kentish_lad

Hi All
I have just become the proud owner of a Sony Bravia 40T3500 and a Sony str-dg910 amp they are both great, my problem is which is the best way to connect my sky+ box to the amp to utilise the upscaling ability of this amp.

Cheers

Charlie

You would be better off just using RGB scart to tv for a better picture but if you want to go with the upconverting to try here goes,

If your Sky+ box has a video out phono (yellow) connect to 'video in' on amp then HDMI lead from 'HDMI OUT' from amp to screen

If you have not got a yellow phono out on sky+ box just buy a Scart to phono lead and use the yellow phono into the amp or scart to component .

Then use an optical lead from Sky+box to 'optical in' on amp for the sound

So to recap, yellow phono in or component in (red Green Blue) and HDMI OUT to screen wll up-convert

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The yellow connection or composite is THE worse possible connection you could ever use, please do stick with RGB Scart (quality scart) if you intend to watch the best possible picture.

chic

Distinguished Member
the sony 910 doesnt upscale it upconverts, it will take the input as composite or component and convert it to hdmi for passing to your display, you will get the same resoloution you put in.

scuba6936

Standard Member
Hi Chic

I understand, I was thinking wrong on that front it all makes more sense now.

I was wondering what happened to the signal after my dvd upscaled then the amp did the same.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom