Sky to Sky+ question

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kilobulb, May 23, 2004.

1. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've just bought a sky+ box(Pace BSKYB3000) from dixons for £125 in their 50% off sale. Now they told me i could just plug it in and use it. But from a quick search it looks like I have to have an extra connection to my sattelite? and tell sky to match my box to the card(have full sports package so sky+ sub is free?). So can I just use my box as is or do i need to get new stuff installed? Have left it unopened as am a bit confused, is it worth keeping?

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes you do need an extra connection from the LNB to work fully - you will also need a dual or quad LNB. However you can just use it as an ordinary digibox by just connecting the one lead that you have. You will still have to marry your card to the box though. You may get some functionality like live pause, possibly some recording now that dual recording is here.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well first they are taking a few liberties with the 50% off, a brand new SKY+ should retail for around £199 with another £50 for the installation which is done by SKY and includes the new LNB etc.
    It sounds like they have just sold you the box and expect you to either contact SKY directly (who may or may not offer to install the system for an additional fee) or buy the Quad LNB and install yourself.

A SKY+ can be used as a replacement for a single SKY digibox with it's optical output and s-video socket but SKY+ without two feeds from the dish is useless as a recording tool.
    It may be a better option to take it back and ask why the so called full price of £250 gets you full installation yet the half price doesn't seem to.
    If they refuse to accept it's a genuine deal which includes installation then I would get the money back and go elsewhere.

The BSKYB3000 is also the original model, first introduced back in 2001 and phased out last year. It has some value due to it's ability to be SDI modified and mine has proven itself reliable but you may consider that you deserve a SKY+ that hasn't been on the shelf for what could be a year or so.

4. kilobulb

kilobulb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I rang sky and they will install for £50 but forgot to ask about warranty. Not sure if the £250 should include installation as the sales assistant checked if he needed to take my details before selling. To be honest I thought i could just swap it out with the box I have at the moment and didn't think about installation. The LNB is in the box :) but the remote isn't :mad: .

Think i'm going to have to find a local dixonx that is still open...

PS: Starburst what does a SDI mod entail/do?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The original SKY+ due to it's chipset being less integrated allowed a modification to be done which would allow you to access the digital video output before it hit the analogue stage and was reduced in quality.
    Couple that modification with a display device with a SDI input then you should have a better picture.

SDI