• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SKy to SKY+ Loft Box installation Question

hebster

Standard Member
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered in the vast amount of threads before.

I have just had SKY+ installed and previously had normal SKY. This was distributed through the house via a 4 Way 'Global loftbox'. As we all know installation via this by a Sky engineer is a no no, so 2 new cables were install all around the house direct to the SKY+ box.

Could someone please advise the best way to connect SKY+ back up to my loftbox(global) as there is now 2 cables instead of one. the loft box has 1 sat in and the return. and i would like to get rid of the ugly black cable wrapped around my house.

So some options i thought of but do not know if they will work....
Keep in mind i would like full functionality of the SKY+ record feature.

Option 1
Connect one (LNB) direct to SKY+ in the lounge and the other LNB to the Loftbox Sat1, then connect RF2 on the SKY+ box to the return in the lounge which connects to the return feed on the LoftBox ???? but SKY+ has 2 connections so what do i connect the 2nd one to?? Does SKY+ need both connections??

Option 2
Buy a Triax 333112 DDU 8-way Loft Box, apparently this is designed for SKY+ has anyone else done this istallation? is it any good?? will it work?

If anyone has had this situation before please could you advise what you did to get around this. Thank You.

Regards

Stephen

ashley29

Standard Member
i have just had sky plus fitted with a global loft box 8 way and sky connected one direct to the loft box(existing) and one to the sky plus in the lounge everything is working ok except my analogue channels have developed interference and im not sure how to get rid of this !!

hebster

Standard Member
Hi Thanks for the quick response. Could you please explain how this was connected up. Which cable went where??

Thank you for any help.

Stephen

hebster

Standard Member
I would like to complete the installation without the loft expander. I have enough cables to run a sperate feed from the dish to the SKY+ box, but i can't get my head around the diagram to do this.

Do i:

1. Connect on LNB direct to the SKY+ box to Dish input 1.

2. Connect the second to the Loftbox Sat connection.

3. Connect living room connection to the Dish input 2.

4. Connect RF2 to the return to the return on the loftbox????

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Sam would it be possible to-instead of feeding the dish into the loft box, feed the dish direct to the sky/+ box and just send the rf2 return back up to the loft box? would this work ?

It is less likely to cause interference problems that way

hebster

Standard Member
Hi Ashley29, cheers for help so far:clap:
Still would appreciate your installation details might cure the issues i have below.

At the moment i have the SKY+ directly connected to the Dish and the return connected to RF2. Sky is working on the other tv's but it has caused an issue with the sound quality and the TV Link. I am looking for the best installation.

:thumbsdow
1. Ever since sky+ install the sound on the tvs connected on the return have sound distortion, all the shhh noises as the people speak are over exaggerated. This does not effect the tv connected direct to the Dish. Also this problem did not exist with the SKY installation i had before.
The sound is no better with RF2 power on or off.
:thumbsdow
2. The Tv Link (global) LED is lit whether the RF2 power is on or off. but the remote doesn't work without the RF2 power on even though the amp seems to be powering the TV Link. Strange.

:lesson:
Also as metioned before is the 'Triax 333112 DDU 8-way Loft Box' better adapted to Sky+ and does it give better quality?? If so has someone got this installation??

SamRadford

Certainly sounds as if your Sky+ Digibox has a faulty RF output circuit.
Simple test: swap it for a standard Sky Digibox. If sound is OK, Sky+ is faulty.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Have you tried retuning the other TVs - fine tuning may be required as no two RF output channels on Sky dodgiboxes match exactly?

ashley29

Standard Member
why not try disconnecting your scarts from your sky+ box that feeds your main tv and connect the rf2 output to your main tv and see if the sound is distrorted? this will tell if you your rf2 out is faulty or not ?

hebster

Standard Member
Dave,

Have done the fine tune on the TV, this has not been successful. Will give Ashley's idea ago when i get chance.

Cheers.

D

davidwills

I have a Triax 333112 which works fine to distribute the sky anaolgue signal from RF2 around my home using UHF2 as the input of the Sky signal.

However when the DDU is in the loop the Triax Magic Eye will not power up, linked directly it's fine, the coaxial from the DDU to the RF outlet is not earthed or anything but there seems to be no DC power in the circuit.

Does the 333112 earth the DC signal from the Sky box? :lease:

SamRadford

The DDU should provide its own 9 volt DC supply to the magic eye (measure it!) If it doesn't, then the DDU is faulty.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom