• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky to SKY+ change....

advido

...my parents still use the original Sky box with no internal HDD...

If I purchased a used Sky+ box from eBay could I just replace it so that they could use the HDD/save/record facilites without having to do a second re-cable and LNB... would it just pickup on one channel and save/record ?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The Sky+ features have to be activated on the Viewing card. This is free if you have a current Sky subscription.
With only 1 LNB input you will only be able to record what the box is tuned to.

advido

...would they be able to use it to set recordings from the program menu in advance by pressing the 'R' button...?

(they still use an old VHS recoder but because of age and capabilites find it ever harder to set it for recording)... My dad is reluctant to have more holes and cables put in so wont get in touch with SKY to do an 'official' installation..)

The Sky+ features have to be activated on the Viewing card. This is free if you have a current Sky subscription.
With only 1 LNB input you will only be able to record what the box is tuned to.

The current sky cabling uses a thinner twin version which will in all probability thread through the existing holes as the system is upgraded

Don't buy a second hand box, it's just not worth the hassle

Sky +, properly installed, is simple and easy to use. Far easier than vhs

Don't try to make do with a single cable job. It's harder to use and easier to miss recording what you wish to watch

advido

thanks for your comments....

....trying to convince my dad to go over to SKY+ is impossible - he thinks they'll make a mess of the house and put extra holes into his beloved walls and skirting board....

If - as you say BOTH cables can go through an existing hole due to thinner cables i'll see him today and have another go at convincing him that SKY+ will solve all their recording problems...

The current sky cabling uses a thinner twin version which will in all probability thread through the existing holes as the system is upgraded

Don't buy a second hand box, it's just not worth the hassle

Sky +, properly installed, is simple and easy to use. Far easier than vhs

Don't try to make do with a single cable job. It's harder to use and easier to miss recording what you wish to watch

thanks for your comments....

....trying to convince my dad to go over to SKY+ is impossible - he thinks they'll make a mess of the house and put extra holes into his beloved walls and skirting board....

If - as you say BOTH cables can go through an existing hole due to thinner cables i'll see him today and have another go at convincing him that SKY+ will solve all their recording problems...

The new cable is a single cable with a twin core. Much thinner than two separate cables. If you have an aerial contractor in the area he'll be able to show you and perhaps let you have a few inches so you can compare on site

The installation should merely involve replacing the existing cabling from the dish, through the wall and round the skirting board.

Why not supervise the install yourself and send him out for the day

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom