Novice Member
A user just posted this on my forum

Do you think it's true?

[ link removed ]

Last edited by a moderator:

kdog

Novice Member
Bloody hope so!

Just off the phone with them. I was looking at getting HD multiroom but soon realised they were after another £10 for the HD facility on the second box :eek: So all in I would of had £20 for HD and £10 for multiroom on top of my channel subscription!! :mad:

So if it's true I'll be straight back on the phone :D

Swiss Tone

Novice Member
I hope so too, I didn't realise until last night that the £10 HD Fee is for every box you want running the HD service, as I was looking to replace the Sky + box I have in the bedroom.

Swiss.

robfosters

I'm personally very sceptical about this. I think if it was true and happening in 2 weeks time, we would have heard about it big time from sky by now.

2scoops

Novice Member
we've had similar rumours in the past, if they do drop the charge though it might just convince me to stay with them, I was considering geting one of those HD Freesat PVR boxes that are due out at the end of Nov.

Broadz

Given that they won't sell you a second HD box for £75 (even if you do agree to a further 12 month subscription on the second box), and so you have to pay £150 for the second box, Sky may now consider that they are making a profit on the second box by sales price alone, at which point they don't need to also force a second minimum 12-month subscription charge on the second box just to get their money back.

The changed the Sky HD subscription to the HD Mix subscription. All other mixes within your subscription are mirrored on a multiroom sub, so in theory there should be no reason why the HD Mix shouldn't be mirrored on a multiroom sub also.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Isn't the new offer coming in 01/11/08, the day after this existing one runs out ?

Peely

Standard Member
So I've just got a deal for HD which made the box in effect £19 installed.
They also agreed to give me £5 off my subscription for 6 months.

So...................where is Sky getting the revenue for broadcasting HD then ?

Or are all new HD subscribers held to a 12 month £10 subscription ? :confused:

kenedin

6 months.

...................where is Sky getting the revenue for broadcasting HD then ?

Or are all new HD subscribers held to a 12 month £10 subscription ? :confused:
These, and other questions, will answered in the fullness of time:D:D. So, Sky are going to kiss goodbye to nearly £5 mill a month??? Ho Ho Ho, I think not. Let's wait and see. Y'know, we have been here soooo often it hurts ( with laughter!!!!:D:D:D

Miss Chief

I find this extremely unlikely and is probably just 'water cooler talk'. I don't really trust anything the engineers say. I've even had a few asking me to 'turn a customers viewing on' when the customer has 'no satelite signal is being received'!!

Te £10 monthly is driving the increasing number of HD channels. It wouldn't be fair on the 95% of other customers who don't have HD to subsidise more HD channels as this would result in less original content from Sky and possibly an increase in subs for all. Expect the HD sub to stay until next year at least.

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
I find this extremely unlikely and is probably just 'water cooler talk'. I don't really trust anything the engineers say. I've even had a few asking me to 'turn a customers viewing on' when the customer has 'no satelite signal is being received'!!

Te £10 monthly is driving the increasing number of HD channels. It wouldn't be fair on the 95% of other customers who don't have HD to subsidise more HD channels as this would result in less original content from Sky and possibly an increase in subs for all. Expect the HD sub to stay until next year at least.
I am 100% behind the HD sub for the reason you cite and have no problem with paying it - but what about the SECOND HD sub for multiroom?

I bought a HD box for £300 in May 2006 and have paid £280 in subs since.

My PVR 2 on multiroom is failing and I wanted a second HD box. I was willing to pay the £105 (£75 plus £30 install) and a second HD sub, even though I think this second sub is unjustified. But Sky want £210 from me as well as another £10 sub.

This has left me very fed up as a 20 year long customer of Sky when I see newbies here who have done nothing to drive HD take up as we have by getting this from the start - yet being offered an HD box for £49 all in and the sub reduced to £5 pm.

To be honest I am so angry at in effect subsidising others by what I consider an inflated price that I am not paying and will simply drop my multiroom sub if the box fails and find other means.

So for the sake of this very poor pioneer HD customer policv Sky not only do not get an extra £10 pm from a proven very loyal customer but lose £10 pm instead.

Someone needs to tell Sky bosses how that seems to me
to be an incredibly inept strategy as I bet I am not the only one who is feeling let down by this enough to consider looking elsewhere over multiroom.

Last edited:

Jonstone

Given sky's previous record on subscription fees I think the next most likely step they would take with the hd subscription would be to include it in the sky world package as this would encourage subscribers to upgrade and reduce the number of people downgrading from the full package.

This worked with sky+ and the business model for doing it with the hd package seems very similar

ennerdale22

Novice Member
why would they be giving out hd boxes out now for £75 if they where planning too scrap the £10 subscription, if there was no subscrition im sure most people would be willing to pay way more than £75 for the box.

logiciel

They changed the Sky HD subscription to the HD Mix subscription.
The problem with that is that it's only a "subscription" when they want it to be and not at other times - Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed that!
The T & C say:
"Sky+ subscription required to use Personal Video Recorder features (free for Sky TV customers, otherwise £10 a month)."
I pay an HD Mix subscription (and I am obviously a Sky TV customer) but that does NOT give me Sky+ functionality - I have to pay for it.

davidmbell

Novice Member
The problem with that is that it's only a "subscription" when they want it to be and not at other times - Lewis Carroll would have enjoyed that!
The T & C say:
"Sky+ subscription required to use Personal Video Recorder features (free for Sky TV customers, otherwise £10 a month)."
I pay an HD Mix subscription (and I am obviously a Sky TV customer) but that does NOT give me Sky+ functionality - I have to pay for it.
I have the full 6 entertainment mix, so pay £22 a month.

When I got Sky plus it went up £10 for the Sky+ Capability.

When I got HD the £10 I previously paid for + was scrubbed but £10 was now charged for HD, the + is free when you have HD.

It sounds from what you say you pay £10 twice?

David

Jonstone

I have the full 6 entertainment mix, so pay £22 a month.

When I got Sky plus it went up £10 for the Sky+ Capability.

When I got HD the £10 I previously paid for + was scrubbed but £10 was now charged for HD, the + is free when you have HD.

It sounds from what you say you pay £10 twice?

David
Sky+ functionality is free to all subscribers and has nothing to do with your hd subscription.

What hhatkin is saying is that the hd mix is called a subscription but if you only have the hd mix (i.e. no other mixes at all) you still have to pay an extra £10 for the + facility

Ian J

Banned
I don't see much use in keeping this thread open as it's primary purpose seems to have been to allow the thread starter to drop a link to his own forum and as I removed that the thread is now redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom