Sky to replace Sky Travel on Freeview and replace it with "Free version of Sky One"

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by PhilipVass, Oct 2, 2003.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has been around the news allot, look at todays article on http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/frames/master.asp which looks like it may be coming pretty soon.

Sky Travel is allready evolving into it as it shows Films,Bay watch,airline, eye of the storm ect..

From Media Guardain:
    If you ask me i think this new channel could be coming by the end of 2003. :D

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    So a senior executive "admitted" today what most people could see coming when Freeview launched with SKY as a platfrom partner and providing content.
    It's plain common sense to have an entertainment channel on a platform that might have 20million households come analogue switch off and since SKY is also buying both the FTA and PAY TV rights for many of it's US imports also lends weight to the proposition of a FTA version of SKY1.
    God help ITV when that happens though, with competition for the finite advertising spending from maybe a dozen dedicated entertainment channels plus sports/music/factual etc they are going to get the kicking of a lifetime. Ch4 and Five should be fine since they only need a fraction of the income the ITV network requires and you've got to wonder why any US media concern would even consider buying a merged Carlton/Granada network.

On anoher note, Five and QVC were breaking up something rotten this afternoon, might have to invest in a new rooftop aerial sooner than I had planned:)

3. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i feel that this new channel could be one of the best on Freeview by the sounds of it, im allready enjoying the new look of Sky Travel..i realy hope it comes sooner rather than later.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It certainly has the potential to be a rival to Five and maybe CH4 in the short term but SKY will have too many rights issues to untangle before it could ever resemble SKY1 (If that is actually a good thing).
    They are certainly buying more FTA rights but right now the FTA rights for Enterprise and Scrubs have been sold to CH4 and The Simpsons, South Park are owned by CH4 (and bbc2 for simpsons).

I would expect to see Travel developed more in the short term for two reasons, the first are program rights and the second to avoid a further weakening of am already poor performing SKY1.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    At last! Some good news for people who are not fans of sport! :clap: And better than another radio or shopping channel.
    Sounds like it could be a great boost to Freeview and encorage more households to invest in a box.

Mark.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It was only a matter of time.

Wait 'til freeview is the norm when 'every home will have one'.
    You'll see a lot more of the established sat/cable channels wanting to join the bandwagon.
    It's those that advertise on these channels that will dictate and if I was one I know i'd want to be seen by the largest possible audience.