SKY + to Recorder - Recommedations please

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Cool As Blu, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Cool As Blu

Cool As Blu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SKY+ Box is getting full and I need to transfer the progs to a recordable format - preferably DVD. Is this best done with a dedicated DVD Recorder or will I get good results with my laptop ?

If a DVD recorder is preferred, can you make some recommendations please - not more than £500. I have DVD+R on my desktop, DVD+-R on my Laptop so a DVD+R recorder would be ideal.

Thanks.

Ravi

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You can get very good results just by-passing standalone DVD recorders and using your PC. That said laptops are less suitable to video editting unless you have a top end unit - and even then you more limited in your choice of hardware. You could opt for such a solution on your Desktop though - take a look at the HCPC forum (on these forums near the bottom of the list of forums) and see if that's the way you want to go. It could workout the cheapest solution but may involve some heartache. Personnally I would suggest a standalone DVD recorder.

Now whilst their is nothing wrong with the + format as is, it's application in standalone DVD recorders isn't brilliant in the sense that editting abilities have been sacrificed in favour of compatibility. Thus if you want to make editted recordings from Sky+ you not going to get a very satisfactory solution with a + machine unless you get a PC video editting suite - in which case you might as well just go the direct to PC route. UNLESS you don't want to edit at all - in which case a + machine will be fine.

The next, but most expensive option, is a HDD/DVDR combo from the likes of Panasonic, Toshiba or Pioneer which offers you full flexibility in the sense you can edit, re-encode etc. Such combinations tend to be the prefered choice on these forums but aren't cheap (around £500).

The intermediate solution, taking into account you have burning facilities on your laptop/desktop is to opt for a 'standalone' (i.e. no HDD) machine such as the Sony GX3 where you could, for example, record you programmes onto DVD-RW (in VR Mode) and then edit as required before copying onto your laptop/desktop and using a video package such as TMPG Enc Author to design menus and burn to a DVD+R/-R from there. Such a solution would cost approximately £350-£400 for the machine and software.

A slightly cheaper solution (but slightly more powerful given the features on the machine) would be to purchase the Panasonic E50 (around £250) where you could use that machines Flexible Record option to maximise the quality of the DVDs you making. The catch - you'd need to buy a new DVD-ROM to read the DVD-RAMs recorded on the E50 (around £20).

In the DVD Recorders forum (listed above this forum in the forum list) there is a sticky thread entitled "DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R" which you may find an interesting/useful read if you think either of the standalone solutions are of interest.

3. leng

leng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing this with a Philips DVD R75. I can dump video onto +RW disks and edit them later on my computers. Straight to computer is not a viable option for me as I don't have a decent laptop. Recorder is about £240 at Richer Sounds (multiregion) and seems very good when it works. First one just went back because it kept locking up but they changed it without quibbling.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Indeed. But my reason for ruling out the + machines in my original post for such a use is based on the fact that most of the other DVD recorders are better for use in this capacity. This is largely because they offer FLEXIBLE RECORD (or equivalent) which allows you to precisely alter the bitrate/recording quality for each of your recordings. This enables you to completely fill the disk without the need to re-encode (which causes quality loss).

For example:

You wish to record 3 one hour shows (42 mins programme and 18 mins adverts) onto a DVD-R/+R. On a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW system you can record each one on a disk with a FR option of 126 mins. You can then either edit on the standalone or on your PC (although the former is almost always more user friendly). With a + machine though you must record each episode in 2.5hr mode (i.e. 150 mins) or each episode in 1hr mode and re-encode on the PC - either way the quality will be reduced to below that of the DVD-RAM/-RW equivalent.

That's not to say the + setup is bad. It's just not a good option if your setting out to utilise a PC.

5. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd Like to add my support to the DVD-RAM lobby. Fantastic System, editing out adverts on my Panasonic DMR-E50 is a dream. A DVD-RAM drive on my PC allows me to then copy my edited programmes back to DVD-R for archiving, the FR mode works a treat and always gives great quality recordings, and also a 9.4Gb Dual sided DVD-RAM disk is only £8.99 from Panasonic

http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/?e=404&w=01

Doc