Sky to Plusnet ?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by topgazza, Feb 11, 2014.

1. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    I have Sky Unlimited broadband and to be fair I have had good service with 8-9 Mbs on LLU on a consistent basis. My contract is coming up and just doing some comparisons...as you should.

We now have FTTC where I am so I have more options. One supplier that interests is Plusnet, TalkTalk have to be the most incompetent company in the world.... and I try and avoid offshore support companies... such as TalkTalk, BT. I have Sky Entertainment, no movies or Sport and Sky Talk Anytime

Cost is important and Plusnet have a cracking deal at the moment. I do some streaming of movies and music but nothing heavy and there are three people browsing the internet. Not overly heavy most times and again, to be fair, I get no real speed issues. So why change ? Well, I do fancy fibre for that little extra push. I could stay with Sky @ £20 or so a month but just trying to understand if Plusnet are a good move in members opinions. Also As my phone is with Sky on LLU I want to keep my number for sure... any issues with that and timescales. Obviously I'll talk to Plusnet but was after people experiences if possible :thumbsup:

2. GE90

GE90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've been with Plusnet for 10+ years, when I did have a problem just once, it was addressed really quickly (BT/Openreach issue). I really wouldn't have any issue recommending them - I'm on the unlimited fibre with phone package. The phone switched over just fine, and I kept my number. One word of warning, if you have caller ID, and wish to retain it, you have to pay extra, so keep this in mind.

A bit cheeky, but if you do decide to change, please feel free to give my email (avail on request!), as I might get a 25p referral discount!

3. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Cheers for that... a WHOLE 25p :rotfl:

4. GE90

GE90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Every little counts...... so let me know!

5. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    I'll probably just send you the 25p myself.... :thumbsup:

6. GE90

GE90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I hope you are sitting down - 25p a month no less! So I'm serious!

Back to topic, if you take a look at the Plusnet community fourms you will find complaints about the time it is currently taking to receive a response to tickets raised. Plusnet have attracted so many new customers that they are having to open a new customer service centre, so this should be address. However, like I said, I've been really happy with their price and service.

7. topgazza

topgazza
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    Their reputation seems to be solid and growing. Impressive in fact.

8. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    I've been with Plusnet for 5 years on ADSL and now that Openreach are installing FTTC in my area I'm starting to look into Fibre options. As I've had an excellent experience with Plusnet and never had any problems at all with them they are my preferred choice at the moment, I've just got to wait for their systems to catch up with OR and let me order it!

9. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    I am transferring to Plusnet from Sky next week, I started the process on the 3rd Feb and BT are installing the fibre on the 24th and I keep my phone number (although I don't actually use the phoneline).

I asked Sky if they would match the Plusnet price of unlimited fibre (up to 76Mb) at £19.99 p/m and £131.88 p/y phoneline but they were not interested, I've been with Sky since 1993!

I am also due £90.90 cashback from Topcashback, although the £90.90 cashback ended when the current £12.50 p/m offer on unlimited fibre started.

So bye bye Sky hello Plusnet.

10. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    I signed up recently, currently with O2/Sky LLU. Plusnet (BT Open Reach) failed to turn up for the installation. Their comms are pretty good and I've been getting quick and regular responses on their customer service portal thingy. CS has been very good, but it's still frustrating that they failed an appointment -- ultimately this falls with them as I dont have a contract with BT Open Reach!!!

I cancelled my Sky TV also. I think it's awful value for money. You have to pay north of £45 to get the good channels, otherwise there is barely anything on. £45+ for telly is silly imo, and I'm very happy with Netflix as a substitute.

Which router are you guys using? I opted for the free one, which I hear has spotty Wifi coverage, but will almost certainly buy the Asus RT-AC66U.

11. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547
    Do you not know that Plusnet IS BT's cheap service?

12. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    My switch completed yesterday. So far 72mb download. Very happy!

Goodbye Sky. I never loved you

13. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    You might want to contact Plusnet about getting compensation for Openreach not turning up, see here Changes to the Abortive Visit Charges and the Missed Appointment payment

14. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Not strictly true, but yes I am aware its still essentially BT. Plusnet is owned by BT and uses BTs systems, but they're run as a separate entity.
    For some unknown reason Plusnet's customer service is miles ahead of BTs and that's what makes the difference for me. I moved from BT ADSL to Plusnet and didn't realise at the time that they were one and the same, but when the service is like chalk and cheese why would you?
    And if Plusnet can run so well why can't BT using the same systems?

15. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547
    Not true, Plusnet is BT, it's subsidary like BT Openreach, BT Wholesale. Just like Bulldog was. The only difference is the management team that is in place.

16. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I changed from sky's BB to planet fibre a few months ago! As others say SKY wasn't interested in matching or even coming close to the offer from plus net, think mine was 12.99 for 9 months then 20... Or something I think! And sure I got Quidco cash back too!

As for the service, I've no complaints with plusnet, I get about 75mbs which is excellent considering I used to get 3-4!

Took a day after my BB was disconnected before the fibre kicked in with plusnet but it would seem it was either BT or open reaches problem at the exchange!

17. Zenpang

Zenpang
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been with Plusnet with their fibre, recently switched to unlimited fibre. I've never really had a fault with them, very rarely have I had any downtime, and if there was it was due to some force of nature that was unstoppable. I get around 72Mb/s and I believe it really is unlimited, I often see myself going over 700GB a month and haven't been throttled.

18. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Booked my Plusnet fibre tonight and Openreach should be here to installed on 9th April. A bit of a wait, but I needed to book it during the Easter holiday so that I don't have to take time off work.
    So I've paid the £5.99 delivery charge to get their standard fibre router. Does anyone know what it is and if its any good?

19. gowyprince

gowyprince
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I moved from Sky with a rock steady 8mb down speed to Plusnet and their fibre. Was promised 47mb down , got 38, then it dropped to 33, then it dropped to 31 and i was told this was normal. Im now approx 28mb on a good day and as low as 2mb when its busy at peak times. Despite numerous emails asking for it to be resolved, it hasn't. I would get on the ball as soon as you see any speed fluctuations as they take AGES to do anything.

Hope this helps,

Matt

20. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547
  21. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Sounds like something's wrong, I get 75 down 99% of the time, even peak! I'd contact them!

22. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    That doesn't sound good. Does Fibre have a bedding in period like ADSL used to?

23. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547
    It's traffic management.

24. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    So Plusnet have traffic management do they? 24/7 or just certain hours? Do any fibre ISPs have no traffic management and is it really something to be concerned about? I'm currently with TalkTalk and my exchange has just been upgraded to FTTC so need to make a decision whether to jump ship or upgrade to TalkTalk fibre when my contract is up next month (main benefit of upgrading is that we'd keep our number)

25. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Well I've been with Plusnet ADSL for years and never been traffic managed, and according to them the unlimited fibre package I'm moving to doesn't use traffic management either.
    They have said it is used on some of their basic essentials packages though.

26. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547
    Plusnet is BT owned to compete with talktalk beacause talk talk offer cheap cheap broadband and they were taken from bt.

Due to the price of transit and data plusnet runs at a loss however it is good business as they don't need to pay tax.

Most retail isps are very good however if you are buying retail it is not that good .

Simple fact of the matter is unless you are willing to pay business pricing expect contended traffic managed usage.

You are constantly managed, sorry but that's a fact of life. You need to be paying a large amount to get on n contended non traffic managed the DSL.

Same with unlimited x.y.z, prices are gonna go very high soon and unless you are are willing to pay £70+ for FTTC unlimited, expect to be restricted.

27. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    I know its constantly managed, but what I mean is that I don't get a huge drop in speed at peak times compared to what my package predicts I'll get. This is lower than it should be for my line and location, but it is at least stable and doesn't fluctuate.

28. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    I checked all this out before going with plusnet fibre, it's not traffic managed as in reducing speed, they priorities some things so for example:
    You have a 75mb connection, your maxing it out downloading a new game but someone down stairs wants to watch lovefilm, so when lovefilm starts, they reduce your maxing out by say 5mb to allow an uninterrupted stream for the tv on demand. They don't reduce or cap your connection speed though! So you'd end up with 70mb for your download and when lovefilm is stopped you go back upto 75.

29. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    That makes sense and that's completely different to the situation that gowyprince is experiencing. BB3Lions said that he was being traffic managed, but I don't think he is.

30. BB3Lions

BB3Lions
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,547

That's contention.