1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ to Plasma via JS tech box but no picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Kell, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm hoping one of you may be able to assist. I've just had Sky+ installed and have it connected via a JS Tech box to the VGA port on my PW7. The problem is I'm getting no picture at all.

I've confirmed the Sky+ box to be working correctly by plugging it into the SCART connection on my old TV and the PW7 displays fine when connected to the VGA port on my laptop.

Any ideas?

2. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    On the service menu on S+ have to set the output to RGB ?

3. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, already set to RGB. Any other ideas?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    press the TV/sky button a few times and see if the Scart is plugged into the TV scart on Sky+ box all leads are secure and convetrer is powered up

5. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD,

Confirmed that too. Everything's definately hooked up correctly and the JS box is powered on. The weird thing is that when it's hooked up and I power on the Sky+ box it senses that on the PW7 and displays "RGB" in the top right of the screen where it would normally say PC when connected to my laptop. Not sure if that's related.

6. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sorry,Not familar with the Panny inputs & displays.

7. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you tried to change the inputs via remote to PC? Maybe RGB is getting switched on automatically for some reason

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you are not looking at an RGB output from your Sky+
    It's composite, try the other SCART socket in the back, or press "sky" button on remote

"RGB" onscreen just means the Pannny has found syncs (syncs are taken from the composite signal) But as you are not feeding any RGB to the JS box you get a black picture.

9. nicke20

nicke20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i thought that the 6 series was the last capable of taking a component signal into the vga port, and its now not available on the 7 series, you have to have a component input card (bnc as rca are like rocking horse poo)
    there again I may have got the wrong end of the stick as usual

10. Driveby

Driveby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just take delivery of a PW7 and JS rgb>vga box and also cant get any picture from any source connected through the JS although I can display an image using the VGA output from my laptop.
    Seams a bit of a coincidence? possible faulty batch of JS tech boxes?

In the PW7 setup menu the Component/RGB Imput select box is greyed out, Im assuming its like this because it isnt seeing any inputs at all (I dont have a component board installed)
    Not a happy bunny!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    odd i havent come across a dodgy one yet... are you sure the devices is outputting RGB? any old scart wont work!!! only RGB..... What device is playing up ? Sky/cable box?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it works from a PC but not from 2 different JS boxes, you have the scart in the wrong socket, like Horny asked. It must be in the lower of the 2 scarts, there is no way on Gods earth this won't work if RGB is enabled and TV scart is used. The VCR scart only outputs composite.

13. Driveby

Driveby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clarify, I can only get a picture from my laptop (ie not through JS tech) I cant get a picture using my standard Grundig sky box using QED P2110 fully wired scart leads plugged into the lower (TV) scart socket, no picture from my VCR using the same make/brand of scart lead, nor from my DVD player again using the same type of lead. Ive tried different VGA and scart cables but to no avail, in the setup menu the Component/RGB Imput select box is greyed out on the PW7 so Im assuming the panel isnt seeing an input through the JS convertor.
    Hope this helps to clarify.
    Ive been getting the "should have bought a TV" speech from the wife :D

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Where are you I feel a visit coming on.

15. Driveby

Driveby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DRiveby VCR can't ouput RGB only composite or S-video if it is an S-VHS deck aslo RGB needs to be enabled on DVD if its a well cheapy one it might not support RGB scart.

ALl scarts are not RGB the JS box is not Scart to VGA BUT RGB to VGA and only works with RGB scart signals...

17. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,
    Ihave a Panasonic PWD6 and feed Sky (from a recently installed freesat box from Sky) to the VGA port via my Panasonic DVD E50 Recorder using a JS RGB to VGA. At first there was no sign of a picture. I explained that the RGB to VGA box must be fed with an RGB signal.
    To remedy this the Sky engineer first used the tuner in the DVDR to tune the digibox to channel 68. THis brought up a picture which allowed him to access the menu where he set the output to RGB.
    Hey Presto - I am now getting a perfect picture from the digibox.
    Hope this may be of some use. My technical knowledge is limited - I'm still an old newbie to all this.

18. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Can you check that in the Picture settings screen on the Sky box that Video output is set to RGB.
    If it's set to PAL you won't see anything - you might need to connect up a portable or some other tv to check it.
    At the same time, as hornydragon says check your DVD player is configured for RGB.

The Component/RGB option is greyed on the PW7s as they no longer support component via the PC input.

:edit: beaten to it by Plasmababby :smashin:

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    To the guy who's screen says 'RGB' whilst you CAN change the labels, the RGB thing is cos you need to press the PC button on the remote.... It does not tell you anything on screen apart for what input you are on, and 'no signal'. Driveby, you aren't trying to daisy chain your scart devices by any chance? The only one you've got there that supports RGB pass through is the sky box.

20. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I received a JS Scart to VGA convertor yesterday for my new PWD7 and everything worked first time out of the box. All three input slots on the PW7 are empty (i.e. no other cards installed) and the plasma defaults to the VGA input straightaway.

Driveby - I'm not a huge distance away from Newcastle, if you wanted to come down and bring your Scart to VGA convertor (and Sky box maybe) to try out here then please PM me.

One thing I have noticed initially with Sky via VGA is that the colour seems oversaturated to me. No doubt it's a source related issue but using the VGA input looses the Colour control in the Picture settings menu. Is there a service menu I can get to to knock the colour back a notch or two ?

Allan

21. Driveby

Driveby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help everyone, it appears that my sky box died between me disconnecting everything on tuesday and disposing of my old tv stand and tv and me rigging everything up last night. Took it today to get tested and although its switching on theres no video output, cut to me at home with a new skybox and a lovely clear picture on my PW7 :)
    My problems dont end there though, my DVD player does do RGB output but it appears to only do it through component connection and not through the scart connection, its a Liteon DVD/DivX player which gets used mostly for DivX play back. Is it worth getting a component board for my PW7 or just get a new DVD player (I think Pio do a DVD DivX player quite cheap) suggestions?
    Also my video doesnt do RGB as was pointed out by HD earlier, but, if I connect the video to my sky box by scart cable I can record from the sky source but cant play back due to no RGB output, would I be right in thinking if I got a freeview box (been looking at an offering by Sony) would I be able to connect my aerial connection from the video into the freeview box and watch the video signal through that?
    Ive also got a Quintro + to add into the equation when I sort a few more things out...
    Its funny, I thought I had it all figured out when I ordered my kit, how wrong I was :D

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    FV box idea wont work i suggest the dual slot input board for you mate can use the component put of DVD and connect VCR to seperate inputs..........£180 ish contact screen supplier for one
    or get a scart board available second hand for £70 ish cheapes and easy eist way to get both connected
    Suggest an MSC from JS tech SKY>VCR>MSC
    DVD>MSC
    MSC>SCART board on panel

23. Driveby

Driveby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers HD, I'll have a look around to see what will best suit me, anyone want to buy a Quintro +? ;)

24. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    can still use the Quintro IIRC does it have a VCR output? if so all you need is a scart board....

25. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everyone's help with my problem. Looks like the SCART lead was faulty. Swapping it out fixed the problem.

Cheers.

26. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has just raised an issue I hadn't considered. My plan was to connect my kit to a Quinttro or perhaps Pioneer VSXC502 receiver and then to a JS RGB->VGA and then to PW7 screen.

Does this setup mean I won't get a picture from my composite-only VCR and I'd have to run a separate connection to a scart board on the screen?

Thanks,
    Zooty

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are correct. You would need to use a scart board in this case. It's not as bad as it's made out here, really the RGB picture is pretty good. Can't say the same for composite, it's just not up to the job of driving a 42" screen. Not the screen's fault, blame it on JVC for consigning Betamax to history. Possible solution is to upgrade to an s-vhs recorder, they are cheap as chips these days.

28. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW. The only upgrade to my VCR will be buying a bunch of DVDs to replace the few tapes I watch ;)

This makes me think I don't need anything to switch scart inputs after all. VCR to its own scart input on PW7, and then DVR and Freeview boxes chained together then to second scart or through JS RGB->VGA to panel. I want this thing now, but it takes a lot of thinking about!

Zooty

29. Driveby

Driveby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking Im knackered with my VCR now as it only has an input scart and outputs through aerial coax. Is there anyway to get a signal to my PW7 or is it time for a new VCR with proper output capability?
    For me the VCR could go in the bin but my wife has loads of videos she watches constantly :(

30. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Driveby either the video input board or scart board will be fine (VCR may have Scart only but that carrys composite video output 2 scart 4-6 head VHS and S-VHS decks are £100 or less.............