1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky to Plasma TH42PHD7 - Did I get the wrong board?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wyerd, Dec 16, 2004.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I received my TH42PHD7 last Friday and have hooked up my Sky box (Grundig 3000 I think) to the BNC component board via the JS-Tech Scart to component box. The picture is......OK.......not great, as it's not as stunning as I thought it would be. There are lots of artefacts on all channels and the picture isn't that sharp. I've messed around with the plasma settings, but there is no visible change.

I'm already using the other PC input to hook up my PC, so if I went for the Scart to VGA and a VGA board in one of the free slots, would I get a better picture? Is the picture from Sky I'm getting now the best I can really expect, or do I need to get the plasma properly calibrated. I have the AVIA DVD and am going to hook up a DVD player to the scart box this weekend to see if I can calibrate it this way. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,
    David.

2. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've compared the scart-to-VGA route with scart-to-component using Sky as a source and found that it's a case of pro's and con's. The scart-to-VGA route gives a slightly sharper picture and a little increase in image depth. Unfortunately the VGA input looses clour and tint control so the scart-to-component allows a better colour accuracy to be dialled-in. Of the two I prefer the sharper image (but at the expense of the colours being slightly too strong) so kept the scart-to-VGA converter and use the component inputs for the DVD player. It's a pity we can't get the best of both worlds (cheaply!) for Sky. Do what I did, buy both, compare, sell one.

The DVD input on component looks stunning and blows away Sky on all counts and will elliminate all doubts you may have about the quality of the display panel.

One more thing - I think the phosphours in the display tend to burn off a little over the first week and then settle down. My panel looked a little 'cartoonish' to begin with but became more subtle and detailed over a few days use.

Regards,
    Allan

3. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll take your advice and see if the display impoves over the next few weeks - as you say it does look a bit cartoonish.