1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky + to plasma picture problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ross1892, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ross1892

ross1892
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I have a sky + 160 box and a panasonic 37PC500 plasma but the picture is on sky and the free view that is in built in the telly is rubbish. The picture is all mosaic. Any recommendations on cables etc. too get a better picture.

Thanks

Ross

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps it is the upgrade to the Plasma making you see how bad digital tv compression can be! What cables are you using at the moment? If you are using RGB, try switching to composite - it might make for a more watchable picture.

3. ross1892

ross1892
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am using standard scart that was in the sky box. Sorry not very technically minded.

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ross, the picture on Sky should be perfect.
    Make sure you have the sky box set to rgb out in the menu.
    Also the freeview should be a better pq than sky!
    Could you receive freeview previously?

5. ross1892

ross1892
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes i can receive freeview but the picture is the same as sky.

6. team_edition

team_edition
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm using the exact same TV that I purchased a week ago. My Sky picture quality is superb, provided I use the RGB Scart output from the Pace Sky box (make sure as someone else suggested that the Sky menu has "RGB" set on the options page) and connect this directly to either AV1 or AV4 which are RGB inputs on the Panasonic plasma.

I'm reliably informed that Freeview is never as good a picture as Sky (irrespective of your aerial or what area you are in) as the bandwidth on Freeview is less than Sky and this is certainly what I see on this Panasonic display; the Freeview picture is acceptable but not as good as Sky which is nearly perfect.

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The general concensus in the plasma forum is freeview produces better results than sky, can i ask your reliable source?

8. team_edition

team_edition
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    av2diefor,

Well my Freeview pic is not great (technically we're not to be able to receive it here in this part of Hampshire) so I called a respected aerial company to see if they could improve it (high gain aerial etc.). They weren't able to and it was him that said Sky was always superior than Freeviw. This was then "confirmed" by the manager of the Panasonic shop that I bought the plasma from.

I personally wouldn't know but my experience is that the PQ coming from the RGB out on the Sky/Pace box is noticeably better than the Freeview on the few channels I can get with a good signal quality.

Is there any technical answer to which is better? Does one have better bandwidth than the other for example?

9. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you find it 'all mosaic', then try turning the sharpness down to zero and put the MPEG noise reduction to high.

10. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the mods posted that freview had better bandwidth than sky,i receive it well and my picture is dvd quality,suppose its down to where you live.
    I have heard you either get freeview or you dont, and the pq is the same across the board on all channels where sky channels vary considerably in pq.

11. hertderg

hertderg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avoid using cheap scarts at all costs - i've tried a few, £50+ scarts gave me a very watchable but not perfect pq, I next tried the Thor scart from tv cables for £17.98 , the PQ was about the same as the £50 cable.

here's the lijnk - http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/FORUM-SP1.html

Cheers
    HD

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The overall capacity on Dsat dwarfs that of DTT and you would think because they have more to play with the quality would be higher but alas it does seem that DTT viewers get on average a better picture then those using Dsat with the exception of FIVE which has always set the standard on Dsat. Perhaps it's down to the fact that Dsat is totally owned and controlled by two private companies unlike DTT which has had some capacity allocated to the PSB's by the regulator/government.

Certainly wouldn't consider Freeview or SKY anywhere close to DVD on a regular basis although I do allow for times when stat muxing is working well and has a very good source but DVD standard, nah :)

Bitrates on DTT can be just as variable as on Dsat.
    There are no regulatory controls on the quality of digital transmissions either in terms of bitrate or broadcast resolution and even worse prefiltering and softening of an image to allow greater compression.
    One benefit of DTT is of couse the need to only broadcast the channel required for that regions, that's were statmuxing can be a bonus unlike on Dsat when a transponder could have 6 BBC or ITV regions and all showing the same thing!

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    rossatherton

The image you receive from SKY should look very good with the best channels (try a Movie channel) and very poor with the dross channels - each channel can 'dial in' more or less bandwidth (which costs money) so image quality is variable.

You need to go into the 'Picture Settings in the Service menu and ensure your SKY box is set to Output RGB not PAL - also set the Contrast to Low.

Then you need to go into your TV's User Menu and ensure the SCART Input your using for the SKY box is set to receive RGB.

If you don't set both devices to RGB your looking at Composite Video which looks poor on all channels from SKY.

Best regards

Joe

14. ross1892

ross1892
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much

15. jshaw_82

jshaw_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also with plasma you needto make sure your viewing distance is 3 times the screen width, ie in this case about 12-15 feet

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Since when was a 37" screen 4 feet wide ? :confused: :rolleyes: