1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky to plasma picture/audio lag

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by welchDC, Sep 3, 2005.

1. welchDC

welchDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a Panasonic plasma TH-42PWD7, and a Pansonic home cinema SA-HT880 kit. This all works fine and is connected via the component board and the P8, Pr and Y ports.
    The problem is that I have also a SKY Pace box connected to the Plasma via the scart input, and the audio from the sky box goes to the SC-HT880 box, again the sound is fine, but the picture has a lag compared to the audio.
    I can change the audio dealy on the SC-HT880 will in DVD mode for when playing DVD's, but cannot seem to adjust the audio when in TV mode, therefore can not get rid of the lag.
    Do I need to adjust the sky box somehow to tell it that a plasma is now attached instead of the old CRT tele.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is getting on my nerves now.. Thanks.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is nothing you can do with the digibox, it does not care what you connect it to.
    The issue here is the delay caused in the Plasma processing the video and introducing a slight delay. I expect the Home Cinema System can tweak an internal source (in this case DVD) but is not equipped to delay an external source.

3. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have had this in the past. As I understand it, what you need is S/PDIF which monitors the signal and is specifically designed to sync the audio with the video in cases such as these (not all TVs or Amps have this).;)
    This was only an issue for me when playing back a saved sky+ recording until I moved away form analog audio and passed optical from the Sky box to the Amp/DVD and then it seemed to fix itself:smashin:
    Also, does your Scart to Plasma do RGB video only (some cables are video only) and so are you using a separate Audio out from the sky to the TV too? - if not and the audio is going to the Amp only then I suspect you will get some lag from the Panny having to manage the audio and pass it to the HT surround speakers where the image is going direct to the TV - try playing the image via the Panny too and the image/audio should be in sync or test audio direct to the TV

Not much help I am sure:suicide:
    Cheers:hiya:

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  5. welchDC

welchDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    thanks for this, but what is a S/PDIF, is this the box on www.felston.
    My PACE box or Panny home cimema does not have optical inputs etc.
    My sky box is set to RGB already, and yes the audio goes straight from the Sky box to the home cinema box only, as no speakers are attached to the plasma

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    SPDIF is another name for the optical output on Sky+ boxes. As you don't have this, you can still use the Felston product (assuming that your amp has a digital input), you just need to buy a digital -> analogue converter as per the details on the felston web site.

John

7. welchDC

welchDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guess I need to have a chat with the guys at Felston.....