Sky to plasma fix

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matt Kerr, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Matt Kerr

Matt Kerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to get a good picture on my nec42mp3 plasma from sky.
    Have tried RGB to component & av-scan converter to vga.
    Composite and component have the same result, lots of ghosting and artifacts especially on moving skin tones.
    The AV-scan converter/line doubler got rid of the artifacts but made the picture jerky, almost like a strobe effect.
    This model of Plasma is supposed to have a built in scan converter but I am not impressed.
    DVD playback is wonderful...........Please help!!!

2. davejw

davejw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    You probably have tried this but if not it works well on my sony Sat decoder to the MP2 and 3

From the Scart output of the decoder make up an RGB cable then add a bnc connector to the composite video connector of the scart.
    Set the BNC inputs to SCART on the MP3 and connectb RGB to RGB and the composite video to the H connector.

This should work OK. Sometimes the set top boxes do not give a good enough synch signal from the composite leaving you with a 'shimmering effect' this can be cured by the synchblaster or the RGB from JS

Hope this helps

Dave

3. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
  4. davejw

davejw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The solarisation from a Plasma screen is due to technical limitations of the technology. Although there are numerous video processors to improve the situation they can never completely eliminate it.

5. Matt Kerr

Matt Kerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy a pro-v. it works very well on my pc monitor but is completely crap with my plasma, almost like a strobing effect.. Tried similar mid range units from scancom but still no better.
    Have not tried the brite-view, getting costly.

If the brite-view works give me a shout Thanks.........

6. Matt Kerr

Matt Kerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reply to davejw regards solarization.........If this is due to technical limitations of the technology then why does my DVD (not a high spec model) not produce these anomolies? Only viewing SKY can I see them?

7. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    thanks for the tip on the Poo V ! (that was a typo, but i'll keep it there for comedy value !) i am now looking at an i scan Pro .. this seems like the neast for me... i need to know if it solves the problem...

Matt i think we must have a sinilar collection of variuos boxs that convert one thing to another and an equally big collection of assorted cables !

i have left a message for Joe at the media factory http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_videoscalers.htm and will get his advise on whether the i scan is for me.. if it is then onights man u game may be the last i watch in "dodgy 80's pop video" mode !

all i then need to do is get my sound system sorted and i may be a happy man at long last !

eddie.........

8. davejw

davejw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt
    Partly due to the amount of information in the two pictures and the transfer etc etc. There is some good explanations of this on the web. I have a Faroudja processor used with both an ALIS screen and a standard NEC MP3/4 and I still see solarisation from certain sources including some DVD's. The manufacturers are improving all the time and the best I have seen is still the pioneer unit but the world of plasma still has a long way to go yet.

Dave

9. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use the iscan pro and it does make a dramtic difference to the quality of sky. The problem here though tends to be related to certain channels. If you watch the movie channels the banding is almost no existant, BBC1 on the otherhand is never great.

I still have problems with the issue of the technology is not matured enough to get past this picture artifacts. When I watch DVD none of these problems are present. If the screen can do it for DVD then it should be possible with SKY

The IScan Pro will make one hell of a difference to your DVD watching trust me you will be amazed

Phil

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've had the shimmering thingy, on plasma and projector. (neighbour's plasma, in fact) The problem was only present on s-vid and composite, I put it down to interference at first, but a synchblaster lead has given a picture so good I don't feel the need to bother with an iscan for the time being. But you know how it is, sooner or later you just have to improve it again, whether it needs it or not!