sky + to pc

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Randy_Badger, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Randy_Badger

Randy_Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i recently got sky + and being a new toy the hdd is nearly full already. i see u can copy to vcr but is there any way to copy to pc, wot cables will i need etc. any help would be appreciated

thanks

2. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    if you mean copy the contents of the HDD, then you cannot easily do this.

If you mean connect a PC to the normal analog output of the Sky+ box (using the same connections as the VCR), then you need a TV card in your PC, and connect using something like a SCART to Composite lead (scart into Sky, composite into PC)

3. Randy_Badger

Randy_Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry yes i mean copy sky+ hdd to pc hdd

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
  5. Randy_Badger

Randy_Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Two options :

1. Put a bigger HDD in (invalidates the warranty)
    2. Buy a DVD recorder and copy onto that.

7. Randy_Badger

Randy_Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as the box is new i think ill go for the dvd recorder option. whats a good recorder to get

8. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi RB

While the SDI option is the no-compromise, bit-perfect option, you can still get very good results using a PC capture card as loz mentioned. However we would advise against using composite video as this really degrades the picture.

In order of quality (best first!) you would choose
    SDI
    RGB
    SVideo
    Composite
    RF

While a DVD recorder is convenient and easy to use, you dont get the control of editing that a PC gives you which is very powerful with the right editing software (Windows Movie Maker is great free package to get started with and is supported by SweetSpot)

regards

9. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Randy Badger, As David Pluggedin states, YES of course you can connect your sky box upto your pc and record in a similar manor as a vcr or dvd recorder. When you ask this type of question it's always better to give it in simple terms as when you get a reply such as the one from Loz then it throws a spanner in the works! All you need is pc capture card and the appropriate a/v leads to go from your sky box to the pc

10. Randy_Badger

Randy_Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i was getting confused. so all i need is a pc capture card leads in between and bobs ur uncle.
    does this mean i can also edit the junk off the begining and end of progs b4 i put them disc.
    any thing i should look 4 in the capture card or r they all pretty standard
    thanks for all the replys im a bit slow

11. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No probs. Most are pretty standard, but as is everything the more money you cough up the better the card. As in the previous thread by David Pluggedin, he states the best quality in highest to lowest order, if you go with this then you can't go wrong. As he also says there is windows movie maker which is good for beginners, I have also found that nero version 6 is quite a good package as this allows a multitude of different editing methods. You can pick up a half decent Tv capture card with svideo input/ouput for less than 20 quid on a well known auction site :)

12. Randy_Badger

Randy_Badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank u very much

13. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I didn't mean to confuse.
    Randy Badger said he wanted to copy the contents of his Sky+ HDD to his PC HDD - which as I pointed out you cannot do.

And as I said in my original post, all that is needed instead is a TV card...

The important thing to recognize is there will be a small, but noticable drop in quality of course - especially with the cheaper cards.

14. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loz, I agree with you that's why I suggested that when people ask questions they should put it in the simplest terms so that there is no confusion. I think randy badger knew what he wanted but when asking the question didn't put that point forward. We got there in the end and that's what the forums are for :thumbsup:

15. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just to add a small qualification to David's input. SDI certainly is best, but you tend to lose the benefit due to the limitations of capture software. I would go with RGB capture via the Sweetspot analogue card - the end result is indistinguishable from SDI when using reasonably priced capture software and its a much cheaper route.

SDI does have other benefits, but I'm not allowed to discuss them here ;)