1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky to PC

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by 123456, Sep 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. 123456

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the best way to go about recording Sky programs to your PC? I have seen TV tuner cards so far but nothing else, would anyone be able to give me more info on that or any other option please?

2. luggsie

luggsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use a Haupauge PVR250 PCI to record SKY from coax RF output but picture quality is not really suitable for widescreen, presumably losses in the MPEG coder and A/Ds. This may be as good as PCI it gets, I think most PVR's use the same chipset. A half hour programme gives a 300 MByte file. USB1 tuners are grainy, low pixel count and pretty hopeless, suitable for postage stamp size picture only, don't know about USB2. I am playing about with first recording on RW discs on a DVD recorder which is super quality, then transferring to PC HD but don't know the best way to do it yet. Plus the files will be huge. A SKY+ box with HD might be a possibility for an intermediate digital recorder but getting the digits out may be a problem.

luggsie

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The only practical way to get SKY's encrypted channels onto a PC is via the digibox analogue outputs into an internal PC capture card or external capture device using the PC for storage of the video/audio.
    If you go for a capture card you will need a fairly powerful PC, an external capture device connected via USB takes much of the load off the CPU but you still require plenty of HD space on a fast drive.

Setting aside the PC as a capture device then a standalone DVD recorder with or without a Hard Drive would be quite capable of recording the programming and then simply taking the resulting DVD and putting into the PC and copying to the hard drive.