1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ to PC via S-Video?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pmccreight, Apr 3, 2005.

1. pmccreight

pmccreight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a RADEON X850 XT Platinum Edition graphics installed in my PC. I also have a Sky + system installed.
    I want to copy recordings I have made on the Sky+ system to my PC.
    I have been told that my graphics card is capable of video capture and that if I run an s-video cable from the Sky+ box to the graphics card and have video capture software installed (like Cyberlink Power VCR) I will be able to transfer the recordings this way.

Is this correct? If not what other equipment and/or software do I require?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That's more or less how I have my SKY+ connected to my PC using the s-video output to feed a capture card, you'll lose some picture quality since you can only capture the analogue output but it does the job unless you are prepared to speed more money:)
    You will need to capture the audio as well, I use the RCA phonos which go into my motherboards audio line in and then the software app muxes the audio and video together using whatever codec you decide to use.

If you intend to capture to DVD spec you will also need some authoring software such as Ulead Movie Factory or TMPGenc DVD author and of course a dvd writer:)

It's not as elegant as a standalone DVD recoder but the PC is more flexible but the process does demand a well spec'd machine.