1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ to PC to DVD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Scaleyback, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Rather than go out and spend a couple of hundred quid on a new DVD recorder, could anyone tell me what I'd need in the way of cable/equipment to link Sky+ to my PC. That way I can use the HD and DVD burner on my PC for recording/copying. (I'm hoping that my PC sees Sky+ as an external HD)

Would I also need a TV card on my PC or would NERO burning software suffice?

Sky+ is downstairs and my PC is upstairs so it'll be quite a long cable run. Although I'll only run the cable out as and when required.

Should this question be in the PC section??

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's a very simple procedure.
    TV capture card being fed from the s-video output of the SKY+ with twin phonos supplying the audio via the sound card. You could use the RF but that's poor quality and only mono audio so hardly worth putting onto DVD.
    You will need a very fast PC with lots of ram and hard drive space and it's wise to leave it well alone when it's capturing the video.

Another method would be to use an external capture device connected to the PC via USB, this takes a lot of load off the PC but is more expensive.

Either way you will only be recording the analogue output of the SKY+ unit as it is spun off the internal hard drive or viewed live, if you want to bypass the analogue video stage then you will need a SDI modified version 1 box along with a suitable (expenisve) capture card.

Unless your PC is upto the task it will probably be cheaper and a lot more convienent to use a standalone DVD recorder and if you have the budget get one with a HD as well.

3. Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the response. :smashin:

I think I'll wait till the Bristol show and see what I can get for my money.

Its gonna be an expensive weekend!!