1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ to PC - best option?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dr_mabuse, Oct 6, 2003.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi all
    Now that Sky have dropped the 10/month subs I am interested in the Sky+ box again! :D
    But I want to dump from the Sky+ HDD to my PC to edit and burn to DVD - what is the best option for doing this?

Before the subs being dropped offer came along, I was about to do this with a Canopus ADVC100, which is highly regarded over at doom9.org's forum on Capturing Video.

Would I still need an analogue capture device of some sort?

All help welcomed.

dr_m

PS
    No suggestions to just buy a standalone DVD recorder please! :)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I use a pretty cheap and cheerful analogue capture card, produces decent caps of TV's shows that I would have once put onto VHS. Edit them, put some menus in then burn to DVD.

I am sure if you spend hundreds of pounds on more advanced/powerful hardware you can improve the quality but in my case if the show ever comes out on DVD I will buy it so the current quality (superior to VHS and more convienent) is just fine.

From the looks of it the Canopus ADVC100 does the capturing etc, leaving you with the raw video on the PC hard drive to edit and burn.

3. Fozmeister

Fozmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read somewhere (on this site) that they used pinnacles "moviebox" to great effect, utilizing the a/v ports via, I believe, a scart converter from the rear of the sky+ box, to the moviebox, then via firewire to Pc & edited via studio8.
    Don't know what the finished results were like though !!