1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + to PannyAe100

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by keelby1, Mar 17, 2005.

1. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Probably a basic question this, but is it possible to run my svideo from sky+ into my pc and then feed my pj via VGA.

If so which graphics card is reccomemnded?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    yep.

You'll get the best results from a seperate analogue video capture card although you can buy graphics cards that have capture stages built into them VIVOs and ati all in wonders spring to mind but you will get better quality generally from a seperate PCI card such as an xcapture or a packard bell TV100 for under 50quid. You can go all the way up to an RGB capable sweetspot or even get your sky+ box modded with an sdi output and buy an sdi capture card.

Dscaler is the freeware app that just about everyone uses for deinterlacing and scaling on a PC.

You can use this route for just about any analogue source digibox , console , vcr you name it. Very good quality is attainable for comparatively little outlay.

The graphics card itself is less important but the radeons and latest nvida cards are well regarded for HTPC use generally.

3. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the comments Keith-I assume this would be better than plugging the svideo directly into the pj?

4. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
  5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113

Assuming Dscaler and your PC graphics card can do a far better job of deinterlacing and scaling than your projector then yes it should look better/ smoother. Stick to the recommended cards , people on here have done a fair amount of comparing cards . You can spend the same money and get two cards that are streets apart in picture quality.

I personally found the Xcapture to be better with colour and sharpness than the TV100 but they are harder to find and slightly more expensive ( the TV100 should be about 30 quid , Xcapture was about 50)

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yep - the AE100 gives huge improvements when driven by a PC, the SVideo feed looks grim in comparison!

7. keelby1

keelby1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers chaps-I'l see how i get on