Sky to introduce Hi Def broadcasts

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by davidd, Jun 9, 2004.

1. davidd

davidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Sky are considering introducing some high definition programming. Whilst there will no doubt be a premium price to pay it makes my own decision as to which plasma to go for that bit harder having just decided to go for the Panny sd not having second thoughts about paying the extra for the hd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3790127.stm

2. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Question is, will existing plasma televisions get the most out of Sky HD?

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    True HD always looks better, whether you are using a sd panel or a hd panel, it isn't just resolution, the colours and blacks on hi-def are so much nicer too.

There is just more information in the image the whole thing is just sharper.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,936
    Now I know I've made the right decision changing my viera for the HD panny. Come 2006 I'd have had to upgrade again , now I won't have to!

Andy.

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    As has been said a million times, the HD model might be better than an SD panel all things being equal. No-one can say just because its the HD model and lets face it its not true Hi Def anyway.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,936
    Come on, with a hidef broadcast it has to be better than an SD panel. A few well respected people on these forums seem to think the HD model is a worthwhile upgrade from the SD and that's good enough for me!

Cheers,
    Andy.

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You are probably right mate, but I too have seen other respected members that do blind tests and can't choose. It's very difficult unlesss you are happy with the product.

From what you say, you are prepared to spend upwards of £3k (Sorry don't know the price of the HD model) on the say so of others. Forgive me but I don't understand that logic, you wouldn't buy a car without taking it out for a run...would you (some would I suppose). As long as your happy mate. :thumbsup:

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,936
    Not on the say so of others no (partly I admit but not completely). My reasons for getting the HD are this , it will cost me £400 more to get the HD compared to what I paid for the Viera package (including floor stand and extra warranty). I think that is money well spent as at the end of the day it gives me more flexibility and future proofing than the SD display does, especially in light of the fact that the Viera won't do 720p at all (best it can do is PAL progressive). I guess I'm more of an enthusiast than the Viera allows me to be at the end of the day, I like control of my options e.g. with the HD I can get the Iscan HD and it will undoubtedly be a very worthwhile purchase, with the SD that's probably not as true. Basically I'm paying a lot of money whichever I get and I want to make sure it fits my requirements and affords me a level of future proofness that means I can keep it for 5 years or more and it won't seriously compromise my overall HT performance.

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Sounds like you made up your mind then Andy? :smashin:

If you think it is worth it and you are happy then IT IS worth it!!! You have to live with it :)

Just make sure you post on the "get your..out" thread...

10. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Interesting article here that sums up the differences between the sd and hd...

Interesting conclusion...

So standard def and dvd's have better clarity on the sd model. Presumably adding a scaler into the mix would change the equation somewhat. But that's an extra grand or so isn't it?

Hopefully when hidef is implemented properly then proper hidef 1920x1080 displays will be available. I don't think hd necessarily makes much sense at the moment unless you predominately watch hidef sources...

11. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129

It is a very interesting topic and is down to the buyer at the end of the day. As you say a properly implemented HiDef display for 1080i is the dream ticket and when that arrives in 42" or 50" guise is anyone's guess (maybe it's impossible with current Plasma technology at the moment, I don't know).

So if a buyer thinks they are future proofed with an HD set then that's fine too but there is no right and wrong answer and true HD is still perhaps a fair way off yet and an HD set does not guarantee better picture quality over an SD set as yet. If you are prepared to spend a whole heap of cash on a good scaler then there would be an incremental benefit, but where do you stop. I would only buy after seeing both though.

12. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Are any of the new Pioneers properly hi def compatible. I've never thought we would we would get it here so I haven't paid attention to it. I may be getting a bigger plasma and want to future proof this one a bit. I wass thinking of the 50inch MXE1 or 504HDE.

Anyone know?

Cheers

Dave

13. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    720p appears to be your best bet but the panel is not an exact match, but then none are IIRC. There will be some scaling which may be detrimental to the picture, but that all depending on the quality of the scaler.

14. atmoscinema

atmoscinema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Eh, I'm confused.

I thought Sky were launching HDTV and now you say the HD screens are a few years off and that the present screen differences between SD and HD is 10%.

What are Sky launching?

:confused:

15. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    HD is usually defined as 1080i or 720p (maybe even 720i). Both have horizontal and vertical resolutions.

1080i required a 1920 x 1080 panel (someone correct me) and a 720p requires a 1280 x 720

No panels resemble this exactly at the moment.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I'm sorry, thie difference is 10%? I don't understand. It's totally subjective. And at high definition, I should think the connection will make almost as much difference as the display. It'll need to be all digital to get the max out of 1080, but even when sky launch the service, most of it will still be std def, there currently is not the material.

17. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You have to remember that article is American and thus US format bias.

"SD" screens have 480 rows which is the same as Region 1 DVDs and US SD broadcast television so "standard def and dvd's have better clarity on the sd model" could be true but only for this material.

In the UK's broadcast SD television and Region 2 DVDs we have 576 rows, the only way these "SD" screens can resolve this is to throw away information and make the picture quality poorer.

From a British perspective the conclusion of the article is just plain wrong.

It is simple, less pixels = less definition. You pays your money, you makes your choice.

StooMonster

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    In practice, not always so. In comparisons, SD screens often do better than 'hi def' panels. IMHO this is due to other factors though, like the HD panels being 434HDE's. You need to compare like with like. But 480 vertical panels still look good with PAL, we can all get far too snobby about it. A HD panel should look better with hi def than a SD, but even with sky HD it will still be only 10% of material for a while.

19. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well my 50" panny has gone for repair and I have been loaned a 42" SD panel.

Now previously I would never have considered buying an SD panel...purely on spec.

But I must say that I am very impressed :eek:

You really don't seem to notice that you are loosing nearly 100 lines of picture information from any sensible viewing distance...and on the whole Sky looks better and shows less artifacting.

DVD's again look very good but when watching the same film I had watched the day before on the 50" on the 42" SD panel you could notice a loss of detail and things just didn't look as well defined/clear. But still very watchable.

Having viewed some of the WM9 HD clips on both screen the HD panel really does shine but you can still see improvements on the SD panel but they are more subtle.

I am still glad that I went for the larger HD panel but I certainly have changed my opinion of the SD panel and at it's current price it's a steal.

But team the HD panel up with a decent source and scaler combo and it would win hands down IMHO.

When we finally do get true 1920x1080 HD panels though I am pretty sure that SD material has the potential to look truly awfull.

Cheers, Lee

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    Well I went to look at the Pioneer today as I was going to order an 43" MXE1, I wanted to compare it with the 42hd6 panny, after seeing all these screens I have actually decided on the PW6.
    I am using D-theater at the moment so hadn't really considered the sd panel but it looked the best out of the 3 with dvd (and probably sky).
    18 months is a long time in this game and and it will probably be 2 1/2 years until there is plenty of Hi-Def material (50%) and by then I am sure I will be looking at a panny 8 series or similar with 1920x1080 resolution, or Pioneer may have sorted out decent black levels and that will be back on the shopping list.

I know that I can run the PW6 for 2 years and whatever I get for it when I sell it on will be a bonus, and will go towards a proper hi-def panel.

21. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok here's a question then whats better an sd panel scaling 576 down to 480 or a hd panel scaling 576 to 768?

Also how good are the scalers in 'hd' panels? Do any of them have very good scalers?

Most people getting the best out of 'hd' panels use external scalers don't they?

So to get the highest quality you have to buy a more expensive panel and then team it up with an expensive scaler.

Seems a bit daft for all that out lay when current higher def panels will be loosing info from 1080 sources.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I still think the sd panels have some life in them, 576 material looks fine, as even Stoo admits. HD panels appear too detailed, sort of fussy, for some people. I must admit that given a free choice I'd be right there with Stoo, a Panny 50". Lacking the money, I run a 1280x720 projector and usually an SD screen, fuji or panasonic, whatever's not on loan/demo. The differences in picture are hard to gauge, cos PJ's and plasmas look so different anyway, but we don't complain about the picture on any SD plasma.