1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ to HS2 HDD to DVD-R ..........Is there a faster way

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MELUN, Jan 4, 2004.

1. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at taking a recording from Sky+ and editing it and then putting it on to a DVD-R disk.

Am I right in thinking I need to play the entire programme (60mins) while recording to HDD on the Panasonic. Then play the entire programe (50mins now its been edited) again to record to DVD-R???

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes - do it overnight and you won't notice.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well you could record the programme directly on to the hard drive if you are not watching anything else

4. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sky+ has 20 hour capacity, HS2 has 9 hours (more or less) at XP....

Wait till you've got 6 or more hours on Sky+ to archive and then copy everything overnight.

then archive whilst you watch something else :)

5. MELUN

MELUN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would I archive multiple programs from Sky+ overnight to the HDD?

Surely you need to play them one after the other?

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Use the "Copy" function.

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both have a 40gb drive says a lot for the compression sky are using in their broadcasts

it's suprising how many people don't know about the copy function

8. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To shed a little more light.....

In the Sky+ program planner, select the first program you want to transfer over and press the RED button. The program should be labelled as COPY.

Repeat the process for all other programmes, then hit select, the Record on the HS2...

You can then use Partial Erase & Divide on the HS2 to split you multiple hours of recording into seperate programess without braks & the extra time Sky+ puts on at the start & end....

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not a lot of point in using xp since sky are already effectively dropping quality to sp mode, therefore you would get about the same amount on the hs2 hdd.

Does this mean that sky is actually broadcast at sp quality or is information lost when recorded into the sky+ hdd?

10. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, apparantly, you should get 'broadcast' quality from Sky+, i.e, no different watching from Hard Drive compared to watching live...

The amount of space used on Sky+ for an hours programme can vary, depending on the type of program....

Perhaps Sky varies the Bit Rate (is that what you call it) for pictures that do not change a great deal whereas the HS2 does not, i.e Sport tkes up more space that your average chat show....

Just a thought....

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky uses a system that shares bit rate around channels,(statistical multiplexing),supposedly giving more to pictures that need more.Sky pictures are quite poor compared to what digital tv can produce.However,by transferring to HDD(Panasonic) in SP you are making a low quality broadcast even worse(as you cannot do a direct digital copy from Sky).You must use XP,this will retain the exact quality of the Sky transmission,such as it isHowever,the quality is still acceptable,and SP is ok if you do not plan to transfer to dvd-when you should always use XP.The fact that the HS2 holds 9 hours,and Sky+ holds 20 hours,and yet both HDD are 40Gb shows how much Sky is cutting corners on quality,in order to cram as many channels in as possibe.

12. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure that it's true to say that this proves Sky+ has a low bitrate.

I have a Nebula Freeview card for my PC, and recordings on BBC3 take up about 1.6 Gb per hour (which equates to 25 hours on a 40 Gb hard drive).

According to the tech info on my Nebula card, the bitrate on BBC3 is 6.5 Mbps, which is simillar to the bitrate on many good DVDs.

I think the problem is that the HS2 has to record from an analogue source, so a higher bitrate is needed to preserve the quality of the digital source.

To be honest, I think the quality of Sky at its best is very good - sometimes comparable to the best DVDs. I view it on a front projector via an RGB to component converter so this makes small differences in quality very noticeable. I think many of the problems that we notice may be due to the source material.

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To say that Sky is as good as the best dvd's is pushing it a bit.Average bit rate on a high budget movie on dvd can be around 7-8mb/s,Sky rarely go that high.Although I have never actually checked it myself,its well known that Sky can average below 5,and picture quality,especially on fades to black,and fast movement show pixellation all the time.
    The source material used by channels definitely plays a part,but Sky could offer dvd quality by cutting the number of channels,or spacing them out over more transponders.
    I assume with a projector you are watching at a suitably long distance,and lacking the crispness of a CRT picture,the shortcomings of Sky's pictures may not be as noticeable.

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you are right about a higher bit rate needed on the HS2 to keep the quality-that was my exact point-if you were able to do a direct digital transfer from Sky to HDD a higher bit rate would not be needed-but you can't-so it is