Sky+ to Freeview

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by fizzi, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fizzi

fizzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I'm thinking of stopping Sky on one of my multiroom boxes as it no longer gets used as much.

Can I use it as a Freeview box instead or does a Freeview box give you more?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    If you cancel the multiroom sub I assume SKY would let you keep the smartcard and it will revert to a freesat card (NOT Freeview which is the terrestrial digital service).

There are many channels on freesat that are not on Freeview and a lot of Freeview channels are Subscription only on SKY.
    You have to decide which is better for you making allowances for the extra cost of a Freeview box (which ain't much if you don't need an aerial upgrade).

Freesat info.

Freeview info.

3. Listerdude

Listerdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think thats the way it works. If you cancel your sub you will loose most of your channels. You won't get BBC3, BB4 or for that matter anything from ITV. If you want the full freesat you will need to buy a freesat card from sky for £20.

4. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Wrong. BBC3, BBC4 are broadcast totally in the clear - you don't even need a card. ITV will be going FTA soon as well.

Leaving that aside, a lapsed Sky card will essentially work as a 'Freesat' card giving you access to all the FTV (encrypted but not subscription) channels.

Gav

5. fizzi

fizzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for the replies.

I have decided to go for the Freesat idea on the old Sky+ box - this is my secondary box anyway according to Sky.

However - I went Multi Room with a new Sky+ box back in Feb this year and whilst I intend to keep this new box on my Sky movie package Sky are twitching about me cancelling my old box and putting that to Freesat.

They refused to put me thru to the cancellations department saying my Sky contract runs till next Feb - whch it does for the NEW box.

But my old box is about 2 years old so I cannot see why they will not let me just have Freesat on that.

Can anyone help? Am I stuck with multi room till next Feb?

6. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would presume you are tied in to the whole package until February, so you will have to keep paying the £10 a month multi room sub until then.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The multiroom subscription is a 12 month minimum which is why you can not cancel at this time. However if I recall the T&C's correctly it can be cancelled within the minimum term IF you cancel the primary subscription as well.

8. fizzi

fizzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Well I phoned back and they said I could cancel but....

...after they expained I would lose the ability to record anything I decided to stick with it.

Seems I was using it more than I thought. :eek:

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

You have two SKY+ units?

If not then just cancel the multiroom sub on the standard digibox and keep the SKY+ sub active with the primary subscription.