1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + to DVD/HDD to PC

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DaveBro, Dec 31, 2004.

1. DaveBro

DaveBro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I record to sky+ then download to the DVD's HDD, what's the best way of getting the material to my PC for editing ?
    I know i can edit on the DVD/HDD recorder but does it need to be +RW as this is my Laptops spec and i'd want to play some discs on there or maybe at a later date do some more editing ?

I can't find a +R +RW DVD/HDD recorder out there either.

Silly question but i'm worried if i get a panasonic and can't play the discs on or edit on my PC.

Cheers :)

2. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Even if you laptop can only burn DVD+R and DVD+RW discs it can almost certainly read DVD-R and DVD-RW - which is all that is required (see Rasczak's Guide). You'll be much better off buying a 'minus' recorder due to the superior features over those found on the 'plus' machines: especially on the HDD/DVDR combi side. Look at the Toshiba RDXS32 or the Pioneer 420/520/720 (I would recommend the Toshiba over the Pioneer). I would recommend the Panasonic range as well - they are after all some of the best out there at present - but your PC DVD burner almost certainly won't read DVD-RAM (odds are if it's 'plus' only it's a firmware disabled NEC OEM drive).

If you really want to stick to 'plus' discs only look at the Sony RX900 or Sony RX1000 - although note the features aren't anywhere near as good as the Toshiba or Panasonic models. At all costs avoid the dreadful Philips HDD/DVDR combis!