1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky to AV Amp Connection

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sharr72015, Sep 14, 2004.

1. sharr72015

sharr72015
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

This might be a silly question. :blush:

What is the best way to hook up my Sky box to AV Amp (Denon 2805).

Sky has Scart connection and AV Amp had S-Video and Component inputs.

Can I connect Scart to Component (is this possible?) or
    Scart to S-Video / 2 x phono

Cheers
    Steve

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    "Best" connection will be to go in with component, you'll need an RGB to YUV converter, of the types made by JS or Keene, which you can take from Sky and then component leads to the 2805. I do this with my 3805 the same way, and it works well.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    sharr72015

The key connection if your going to use your AV Receiver as a video switcher is the one from the AV Receiver to your Display/TV - that will dictate what inputs you can have between your sources and your AV Receiver.

Best regards

Joe

4. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey sharr72015

Not a stupid question IMO as I am having the same issues with my freeview box and 2805.
    I actually have the Keene RGB converter and it works very well but I am trying to minimise mess and cost and to hook up the Freeview I will need to buy another component lead (minimum £30 for an ordinary one). The Keene box takes up room because you have two lots of leads coming out of it and it plugs into the mains with a separate adaptor.
    I figured I would just use one lead and minimise cost and mess (and sell the Keene box to one of you guys on the forum) :)
    I tried a SCART to S-video lead I bought yesterday - if you go down this route check the direction of the signal. Despite a carefully selected SCART to S-video (and not vice versa) when I got it plugged in it didn't work. After much head scratching I checked the box again and there was an arrow showing S-video to SCART.
    Thanks Thor.... that cable is going back today.
    My question is with my Philips DTR1500 will the audio coming from a SCART to S-video and 2 phonos differ from that coming out of the analogue audio out?
    If not I can whip that lead out too and use for something else.
    Cheers

5. sharr72015

sharr72015
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe

I bought a Sony HS20 projector last week and it came with a 10m multi lead ie you can connect it to component, s-video and composite one one lead and then attach to pj.

I presume this is going to be a weak link

woodgaz

I had noticed that some cables are directional, where did you get your cables from.

Steve

6. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it from Maplin... thought as it was Thor it would be cool. Was p**ed off by the misleading name but took it back today and got one of their SCART to S-video - it has a switch on it to change the direction. It's not a classy cable - it was only £13 - Nikkai is the brand. But it is for a freeview box and the quality on those isn't amazing anyway so going via S-vid rather than component is no biggie for me.
    I am getting fussier though, I bought a PC sender which arrived today so I could play games on my plasma from the PC in my bedroom and the pic was CRAP so it's going back. I think wireless video has a little way to come yet - will prob just get a LOOOONG S-video lead from the graphics card into my Denon.
    BTW the sound comes out of the freeview box over the SCART into the phonos just fine. :)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    sharr72015

If you have a standard SKY Digibox you have a SCART output socket which is switchable between RGB and Composite video out (SKY call Composite PAL in the set-up menu).

Composite is not great on most TV's and not worth considering with a projector so you have to decide how best to interface SCART RGB(+Composite Sync) with your Projector (and AV Receiver) which are both YUV Component compatible.

Like juniper I'd suggest/supply a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter + SCART Input and YUV output cable set between the Digibox and the AV Receiver.

I'd connect a separate set of RCA audio cables direct from the Digibox to your AV Receiver.

I believe your projector has a set of three RCA input sockets for YUV component video in addition to the PJMulti socket - if yes I'd suggest/supply a decent set of YUV Component cables between the AV Receiver and the projector.

If you don't have any additional sources with YUV Component video outputs I'd suggest not having the AV Receiver in the video signal path as its not doing anything positive and could potentially be adding some artefacts.

Best regards

Joe

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    to change the direction of a SCART to s-video lead, pull pins 19 and 20 from SCART
    and swap round.

9. sharr72015

sharr72015
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice.

JS Technology RGB2YUV converter looks a good bet, but will have to wait a while as just spent a fortune on AV kit, the other half will kill me!! May be in a couple of months

Thanks
    Steve

10. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give me a shout when you are ready as I have one surplus to requirements (only 2 weeks old) and would be happy to give you a good price on it

11. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: i was going to use a scart to rgb adaptors from maplins code l53aj from both my dvd player and sky then component leads into my yamaha rsx450 then a component lead upto the hitachi pj-tx100 in the manual it says you can set the component input terminals to recieve rgb signal. would the yamaha pass the rgb signals through to the pj. psx and video were just going to go through on composite and pc will be connected via a vga cable.
    sorry if this is nonsense but could someone put me right . :) its ok got it sorted now s-video until i upgrade to component. :beer:

12. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what to connect my standard sky box to my eltax avr-800 amp.

Can someone simply tell me which connection cable to get and where from. Im looking to spend under £15 if possible.

Thankyou very much.

13. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked out your amp online and it looks like the best connect you have for video is S-video.
    I got a lead from Maplin made by Nikkai which is SCART to S-video and 2 phonos. It has a switch to change the direction of the signal. You would need to ensure it was from SCART to S-video. You would probably need to also make sure that the Sky box was outputting a S-vid signal rather than an RGB (i'm not familiar with the capabilities of those but it may be switchable).
    The lead only costs £13 so is in your budget and mine works well for me.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Only a handful of grundig Sky Boxes have S-video (all sky+ have) and they all have 4 pin Din sockets for S-video.
    PLease take the time to actually learn a little bit before you buy this kit....... (or at least use a reputable dealer who can do all the hard work for for a few £££)

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  16. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO! this is S-video to scart. You need scart to S-video