Sky to another TV help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sithepicker, Jun 24, 2015.

1. sithepicker

sithepicker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning, I'm after some expert help again. My father in law has just replaced his old sky box and his new box doesn't have the rf2 picture output. So I purchased off sky the io box and followed the instructions. I have a picture on the other TV but it is un watchable really poor. How can I get a good quality picture on the other TV is the question. Also he had the TV in the other room setup so he could watch sky and terrestrial TV but he can't now because I am using the old cable other end connected to the io box to connect to the ariel socket for the sky image. Can he watch both or can he only watch sky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. sithepicker

sithepicker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning, I'm after some expert help again. My father in law has just replaced his old sky box and his new box doesn't have the rf2 picture output. So I purchased off sky the io box and followed the instructions. I have a picture on the other TV but it is un watchable really poor. How can I get a good quality picture on the other TV is the question. Also he had the TV in the other room setup so he could watch sky and terrestrial TV but he can't now because I am using the old cable other end connected to the io box to connect to the ariel socket for the sky image. Can he watch both or can he only watch sky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Change the uhf channel the io box uses (retune the remote TV each time). Continue till you find a clear channel.

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    To get the best picture quality possible (and be aware, it won't be good; you are in effect using mono RF out via an analogue channel to the remote TV, compared with scart or HDMI to the local TV) you need to tune the remote TV in to the RF channel that the Sky box is outputting its signal on - or you need to set the Sky box to output its signal on the RF channel that you have the TV tuned to. Sounds like they are close - but not exact.

In terms of getting an aerial (digital TV) signal on the remote TV as well as the Sky signal, you have two options. Both involve a Y-cable - to either split your TV aerial output into two at the Sky box end, or to combine both the aerial input and the Sky signal input at the remote TV end.

Your simplest bet would probably be to split your aerial signal at the Sky box and local TV end, so that it goes into the back of your local TV and also into the IO Link unit. That way, the RF signal from the aerial will be sent from the IO link to the remote TV as well as the Sky signal.

Alternatively, use a Y connector at the remote TV end, with your TV aerial connected to one input and the Sky output connected to the other. The output from the Y-connector will go into the remote TV RF in socket. The TV will then receive both signals, and should show you the signal from the aerial when watching via the digital tuner (Freeview) and should show you the signal from the Sky box when watching via the analogue tuner.

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    Where did the aerial cable in the second room come from?!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  6. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Presumably from the back of the original Sky box. Which is why my first suggestion will probably be simpler to achieve than the second - he's already got Sky and an aerial connection in the room where the Sky box lives, and the IO link will carry both signals from the original room to the room where the second TV lives.

7. sithepicker

sithepicker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys guys, my father in law had a ariel booster unit behind the main TV which fed to several TVs round the house. So all I've done is used the cable that went from the booster to the second TV. That now goes from the io link to the second TV. That's how I got the grainy TV image. And I was just going to buy a desk mounted Ariel for the terrestrial TV source.
    Thanks guys.

8. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Why not use the booster as it was???

9. sithepicker

sithepicker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi kev,

How would I go about doing this ? Do I not need to use the rf2 output or the io link. Any advice would be great.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    Aerial booster to i/o Aerial In, cable from i/o Out to second TV.

11. sithepicker

sithepicker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi logiciel,

Great so if I did this I would be able to tune the second TV in to watch sky and terrestrial TV?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    Hi.
    Yes, that's what the i/o Aerial In is for.
    On the second TV all Sky channels come in on one analogue channel.
    Terrestrial channels come in on their own digital channels.
    They may be marginally better.

13. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    The io link just provides the ports that have been removed from the newer Sky boxes the old cabling and basic setup can remain the same.