1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + , Tivo are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JaseyJay, Feb 1, 2003.

1. JaseyJay

JaseyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new to this part of the forum so apologies if my questions are nonsense.

Basically I am interested in recording a whole series of Sky programmes such as 24 onto a hard drive for viewing when I want.

1. Is Sky + or Tivo my only options?
    2. How many hours can I store on a standard box?
    3. Are there any problems with these units
    4. Are they worth the money?
    5. Is there anything better coming out in the near future?

Any other info you can supply would be appreciated.

JJ

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No - there are HDD DVD Recorder combos such as the Panasonic HS2 ot Toshiba RX3, HDD/SVHS Combos (such as the JVC models) or the Thompson DVD Player/HDD Recorder combo.

On Sky+ it's about 20 hours (although you can put a larger HDD in increasing the space to upto 60 hours). Tivo (as far as I know as I don't own one) allows you to vary the recording quality so the amount of time on the HDD will vary according to your settings.

I've used Sky+ now for eight months and it's been flawless. Some people have had endings chopped off and failed recordings but, AFAIK these have been rectified in software updates.

Only you can anwser that!

Units with larger Hard Drives - but if you wait for this you'll wait forever! There will ALWAYS be something better just around the corner!

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    ah...but.....these will not automatically record all episodes of a series, like a TIVO or SKY+

4. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or not! Well as far as Sky+ goes not so you can guarantee it from my experience!

And Rasczak, I've had my unit for 15 months and had nothing but problems from day 1 and yes I told them about it and they done FA about it. Count yourself lucky.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    I never said they did! The question asked about HDD recorders - not just those with automatic recording. I do agree, however, that one click recording from an EPG is much quicker/easier than having to set a VCR style timer.

Then why didn't you use your consumer rights to get the problem sorted? All the Sky+ units are the same model, all get updated by software updates sent 'over the air' - so if your having problems whilst most people are not it's obvious you have a defective unit.

6. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been recording 24 onto my Tivo and tend to watch last night's episode whilst it is recording todays.

The big advantage for me is that I can start recording at 8.00pm whilst I am still eating my dinner and I can watch the feature from the beginning at 8.15 whilst it recirds the rest.

It is worth the costs for this feature alone for me as I hate having to organize any aspect of my life round a TV program.

7. JaseyJay

JaseyJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, for the above.

Now for a comparison - what are the relative pro's and cons of SKY + and a TIVO? (Price, capacity, features, any other)

JJ

:)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    I don't have TIVO so can only comment on the merits of Sky+ (I'm sure someone else can offer good advice on Tivo).

The advantages of Sky+ are it is very simple to use (easy as using the Sky EPG), there is no loss of quality as the 'recording' is the data stream direct from the satellite prior to it going through the MPEG2 conversion process and you can watch a totally different satellite channel whilst recording on another.

The disadvantages are it costs £10 a month after the initial cost.

Personnally I have found Sky+ to be fantastic. I record everything on Sky+ and, only if I want to keep the recording, archive it to my DVDR.

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to keep them for a long time then a hard disk is not really suitable a whole season of 24 would nearly take up your whole HD

Sky+ is fantastic and that combined with a DVDR might be your best option

Tivo + a DVDR might be slightly cheaper and a panny DVDR has a lot of the features sky+ has

without the option of recording on sky whilst watching something else on sky

10. alex f

alex f
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an E30 dvd recorder and Tivo. I use tivo all of the time and only use the E30 now and again. Tivo is great for short term good quality recordings and the E30 for longer storage and excellent quality. I watch tivo, sky digital and dvd's through a panny plasma and the poorest quality is from sky digital!

Get both, E30 and tivo while you still can (maybe):smashin:

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few advantages of TiVo:

In addition to setting season passes for programmes, you can create Wishlists for just about everything. For instance, you can create a "John Wayne" wishlist to record all of his movies. You can also prioritise all of your season passes and wishlists to handle conflicts.

TiVo is also very easy to upgrade. (as long as you follow the step by step guide) I upgraded mine to a 120 GB HD after having it for a few weeks, and the hardest part was getting the lid off. With 120 GB I've got 40 hours at the best quality, and more at the lower qualities.

You can buy a lifetime subscription instead of paying £10 a month for the service.

Take a look at the bugs in the Sky EPG. Now imagine how much more complicated Sky+ recording must be. Extrapolate the # of bugs from that. :D I've never used Sky+, so I'm just assuming that it's as bug-filled as their EPG.

If you can find them, they are cheap! I got mine for £99 because Thomson has stopped producing them in the UK. You can still get them for around £150. Maybe cheaper if you get lucky.

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    they're going for £300 on ebay!!

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think adz is being a little unfair on sky+

I have not found a single bug on it so far I couldn't recommend it highly enough it is fantastic

It too can easily be upgraded to 120GB HD but with a dvdr i really do not see the point

it also has the major advantage of been able to record one sky channel whilst watching something else on sky. The dual record update will also be available to download very soon

sure for the money Tivo is great but if you can afford it sky+'s advantages far outweigh tivo's

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I just assumed that Sky+ was as buggy as Sky EPG, which I guess it's not. (probably completely different development teams)

The ideal machine would be a combination of both systems, as I understand Sky+ edges out the TiVo when it comes to picture and audio quality, but the TiVo interface is easier to use and offers more functionality.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

As a SKY+ user I would agree, a integrated bitstream recorder with TIVO software would be the best of both worlds and with the added benefit of knowing exactly what your monthly sub or one off payment bought.
    The DirecTV organisation in the US seem to manage with the sort of setup as an option for it's subscribers along side a non PVR digital receiver and a PVR with UltimateTV OS.

16. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe we'll get it if TiVo get a manufacturer for the Series 2 here in the UK, or in a future Sky+ update.

Til then, I've got no complaints with my TiVo. I can barely notice the difference between Live TV and TiVo's highest quality recording. (on some things like cartoons and news, it's indistinguishable) Plus, I'm not a big fan of Sky the company, so the spite factor has a lot to do with my decision. :D

17. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you already got Sky then Sky+ is probably best for you.

I wouldn't give Murdoch any of my money (knowingly), so I've got Freeview into my £99 Tivo.

I don't have the subscription as I don't need it, I don't record much anyway, but use the pause live TV all the time, it's fantastic, and the quality is great.

The lifetime subscription is for the Tivo unit itself and can't be transferred to anything else. (eg whatever else has Tivo software installed in the future)
    With the current climate of PVRs I didn't want to pay a subscription on a piece of kit which Thompson has stopped making!

Maybe my opinion will change when a new piece of kit is launched.

You can set manual recordings very easily, with the on screen menus.

If you can get a cheap Tivo, buy it anyway, it's a really useful piece of kit.

18. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    HI I AM THE TIGHTEST PERSON AROUND I HATE PARTING WITH MY HARD ON CASH UNLESS IT WORTH,
    I BOUGHT MY SKY+ 14 MONTHS AGO AND I WOULD NEVER HAD BOUGHT IT IF I REALLY WASN'T 100 PERCENT SURE IT WASN'T WORHT IT FOR ME !!!!!!!!!NOW THIS DEPEND IT YOU WANT A BIGGER HARD DRIVE TO STORE MORE PROGRAM BUT I FEEL THAT 20 HRS IS MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR ANY HUMAN TO WITHSTAND
    40 GIGA HD
    20 HRS UNCOMPRESS RECORDING
    ALL PROGRAM SERIES LINK (IT WILL RECORD THE PROGAMS U WANT TO WATCH EVERY TIME )
    SKY MOVIES DD
    PENTY TO WATCH
    PICTURE IS PRFECT
    AND IT HAS ONLY FAILED ME ONCE WHEN IVE MOVED AND THATS IT AND AFTER 2 YRS I STILL LOVE IT
    MY SETUP
    SKY+
    YAMMY 630SE
    B+W 602 S3FRONT AND REAR
    B+W 300 SUB
    B+W 601 S3(RAN OUT OF MONEY
    JVC DVD SLIMLINE
    PHILIPS 775 CD RECORDER
    ALPHSON 85/10 BLACK AS AV TABLE
    ALL ARE HOOKED WITH OCTPICAL LEADS

19. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Just got Sky, and Sky+ is tempting from an integration and 'original bitstream' point of view. But series link is apparantly a bit hit and miss, and no wishlists/expanded searches mean its a no-no.

I will not change my TiVo until something with similar software functionality is available.

20. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I have had a Tivo for about 2 years and would never want to go back to an old fashioned video recorder or DVD recorder.

Tivo really does change the way that you watch TV. I find that I very rarely watch any live TV now and always have something that I want to watch. The main advantages of a PVR to me are:

(1) Ability to play and record simultaneously. I always watch recorded TV so that I can skip the adds. Only DVD-RAM offers this facility and then only with a disk that holds 2 hours of good quality recording.

(2) Guide data - makes recording so much simpler. Once a week I trawl through a TV guide and add Season passes for any series that I want to watch. This is especially useful to someone like me who is far more interested in recording series than recording movies.

(3) No more tapes or disks! Good for me as I never want to keep anything once I have seen it.

A couple of weeks ago I moved to an area that doesn't get digital terrestrial TV and bought a Sky+.

I prefer the improved quality of Sky+ recordings and the extra capacity (seems to be around 25 hours compared to 11 hours of Best on an unmodified Tivo.)
    The guide data and general user interface of Sky+ is not as good as Tivo to me but it is good enough. Tivo does offer suggestions and wishlists but I never found this at all useful.
    Having paid for a lifetime sub for the Tivo I do begrudge the £10 per month for Sky+ to use the existing EPG but then I have chosen to pay it so cannot complain.