• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Sky through Xbox One and bright colours...

LeeDicko

Anyone noticed when bright colours are playing on the screen, the colours kind of judder?

I noticed it when watching Norwich vs Liverpool yesterday and now I am watching Leyton Orient who also play in red and every time the camera goes in close to to the shirt, the colour judders?

Doesn't happen when Sky isn't plugged into Xbox One...

Anyone else noticed this? Or could someone else stick Sky Sports 1 HD on to see if you notice the same?

SILVAF0XX

Sorry missed this and could have checked, although not really noticed anything whilst watching football... and as a Forest fan I watched the game yesterday and didn't see anything.

The wife was watching Grand Designs yesterday though and the chequered jacket that Kevin McLeod had on was practically flashing like it was comprised of LED's!!

Not sure if that was Xbox related though!

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Anyone noticed when bright colours are playing on the screen, the colours kind of judder?

I noticed it when watching Norwich vs Liverpool yesterday and now I am watching Leyton Orient who also play in red and every time the camera goes in close to to the shirt, the colour judders?

Doesn't happen when Sky isn't plugged into Xbox One...

Anyone else noticed this? Or could someone else stick Sky Sports 1 HD on to see if you notice the same?

Could you describe what you mean? I sometimes see some weird flickering on very bright colours, especially when watching football and my sky box is plugged direct into my TV.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
I think I noticed this. It's like the colours are over saturated. I fixed it by adjusting the contrast, sharpness, brightness and colour settings on my TV using the HDTV calibration walkthrough in the XB1 settings menu. In short: my TV was set up incorrectly for the XB1.

Last edited:

LeeDicko

I think I noticed this. It's like the colours are over saturated. I fixed it by adjusting the contrast, sharpness, brightness and colour settings on my TV using the HDTV calibration walkthrough in the XB1 settings menu. In short: my TV was set up incorrectly for the XB1.

Yeah that's what it seems like to me, noticed it again today while watching the football. Will use the calibration tool again and see if it helps

LeeDicko

Hmmmm, tinkered with my TV settings, changed brightness, contrast, colour etc. and it all still happened.

Went back to original settings on the TV, took the sky box HDMI out of the back of the Xbox One and plugged it straight into the amp and watched exactly the same bit that was causing the colour to flicker (that's the best was I can describe it) which was the fluorescent jacket of a Liverpool steward in the Liverpool V Chelsea game and it didn't flicker at all.

Definitely something to do with the Xbox One. Just not sure why it seems to be only happening to me... (I've asked my missus if she noticed anything without telling her what and straight away she said the colour flickers)

-edit-

Seems like I am not the only one -

HDMI Passthrough signal degradation - Xbox One Message Board for Xbox One - GameFAQs

samtman

Will it not be that your tv puts the xbox into game mode or something similar and tv mode (with processing) when watching normal tv. Mine does this and is the reason I haven't got my sky plugged into it as cannot be bothered messing with the setting every time I want to switch between them.

LeeDicko

Don't think it's anything to do with game mode or anything as my TV doesn't have a setting like that.

I've put something on the preview forums about it and someone else with Sky HD has said they are having the same issue.

Hope it gets sorted out as it's pretty annoying.

STANNY08

This problem seems to have materialised for me today. It's only slight, but definitely there. Only on bright reds though. I've found that setting the sky hd box to output at 720p seems to stop the problem. I think it maybe something to do with the sky box outputting an interlaced picture, and the Xbox converting that to a progressive picture. I could be way off tho.

LeeDicko

This problem seems to have materialised for me today. It's only slight, but definitely there. Only on bright reds though. I've found that setting the sky hd box to output at 720p seems to stop the problem. I think it maybe something to do with the sky box outputting an interlaced picture, and the Xbox converting that to a progressive picture. I could be way off tho.

Gutted for you, now you've noticed it it'll catch your eye every time!

Like you say, think it's something to do with the Sky box outputting in a certain way and the Xbox doesn't seem to like it.

Xbox know about it, if they'll do anything about it is another thing...

PLJPlayer

I think this might be related to the refresh rate issue. Sky (and most UK TV) is transmitted at 50 HZ. However the Xbox is displaying at 60 HZ.
I think this is more noticeable with bright fast moving colours.
I think there is another thread on this issue, but I have not seen it has really been fixed.

Munkey Boy

Distinguished Member
I think this might be related to the refresh rate issue. Sky (and most UK TV) is transmitted at 50 HZ. However the Xbox is displaying at 60 HZ.
I think this is more noticeable with bright fast moving colours.
I think there is another thread on this issue, but I have not seen it has really been fixed.
Nope, the Xbox displays at 50Hz when using the TV app (assuming you've got the right option selected). I notice the latest preview update changed the HDMI in driver and they're asking for feedback. In my case, it has made the colour issue return although to a very small degree. I submitted this report using their new feedback app.

rustyprinter

Standard Member
Yeah have had the same problem for months now and have left messages on the early access forum app on my xbo one.Also noticed when playback on skyhd planner in dark scenes like penny dreadful I get flickering from light to dark upplug xbox play again and it's fine.Let us know if any have same prob.

turk3y

I find sky hd has really over saturated reds that bloom on my TV normally, especially say channel 4, Kirsty Alsop and her red coats really blur. I've not used it through the Xbox much to say I have noticed but the Xbox might be exaggerating a sky issue.

rustyprinter

Standard Member
Tried changing resolution on skyhd box still no joy if anything it's worse been watching commonwealth games and reds are juddering so bad.Posted on xbox forum few times now and no response typical Microsoft

STANNY08

I cant be certain, but having watched plenty of football highlights this evening i think this has been fixed in the latest update.

SILVAF0XX

I find sky hd has really over saturated reds that bloom on my TV normally, especially say channel 4, Kirsty Alsop and her red coats really blur. I've not used it through the Xbox much to say I have noticed but the Xbox might be exaggerating a sky issue.

The simple solution for this... and I actually found it useful even before owning an Xbox One is to just avoid anything with Kirsty Alsop in it :D

LeeDicko

Mines still not any better, watching catchphrase right now on ITV HD and every time they move in front of the blue background you can see the whole thing moving judder.

Should add that when the people move, it doesn't happen but when something quickly moves (like they move their arms) you can see it clearly.

STANNY08

Having watched plenty of football this weekend it definitely seems that thus issue has gone.
Now tho there is a new issue. Every 20/30 seconds or so there is a single stutter. Anybody else noticed this?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom