1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Through Sony DVR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fat Bob, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Fat Bob

Fat Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Find the site invaluable but can't search out some information I need at the moment.

I've been running a setup with a Panny PWD6 linked to the component out of a Yam 750AX amp via a VGA cable which switches my Sky+ via S-video and Cambridge Azur DVD via component. I was looking into utilising the RGB of the Sky+ by putting the connection through a JS RGB>component box and component switching for visuals.

However last week the Sky+ had its last tantrum and died leading to a two day period where I had to do something I'd rather not do again (talk to the misses). So I now need another tuner (freeview) so I can at least watch normal TV the next time it happens.

Instead of putting in two more devies to cater for this I am thinking of getting the Sony RDRGXD500S DVD Recorder which will give me an RGB enabled scart and component out with built in freeview.

Now my life story is out the way, my first question is this - is there any known loss of signal quality 'piggy-backing' the Sky+ through the DVD and then the amp in this way? Second, as a rule is the PQ of pre-recorded DVDs noticeably worst on DVD recorders than just players. And three, does anyone know if the Sony can accept an RGB signal at the same time as outputing to the component as I know some won't.

Thanks for your patience.

2. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I have the GX300, which is similar to the 500.
    Playback of recorded material is excellent, but you can't output RGB and component at the same time. :thumbsdow

3. Fat Bob

Fat Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. I suspect the 300 and 500 are the same hardware but with the added freeview tuner on the 500.

Would you say that the picture and sound quality are up there with a half decent player?

4. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    It depends on your definition of a half decent player!
    I can tell you though that I have/had a Toshiba 220, Panasonic E50/E55, JVC DRM1, Momitsu upscaling V880. I also tried a Toshiba 340E, which is very highly rated on this forum.
    I thought the PQ from the 340 was no better than that from the 220E. To get to the point, I think the picture from the GX300 beats the machines listed here, and matches that from the 220E, IMHO.

5. Fat Bob

Fat Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's looking good for the 300.

Do you know if it will output terrestrial tv to its component output? Also I noticed the older GX3 won't allow RGB in while the component out is on. Is this still a problem with the 300?

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Sorry, I can't answer the terrestrial via component question, but you still can't output component and RGB at the same time. I think the GX300 is basically the same as the GX3, but with an added recording format (don't remember which one though).

7. Fat Bob

Fat Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mray, I don't want to send RGB and component out at the same, just RGB in and component out. I.e. Sky+ to the Sony via RGB then Sony to plasma via component.

Do you know if it'll do this?

8. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    From what I can see in the setup menu, you can have RGB in and video out, but not RGB in and s-video out, via component.
    Well, I've just tried it, and yes, you can have RGB in and component out.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The GX500 will not do this. It will accept RGB Scart input but, if it does, the Component Output option is not available.

10. Fat Bob

Fat Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one last night and it does output to component while RGB is on. Had the Sky+ on input 3 (set to RGB) and was connected to the panny pw6 via component.

Job's a good 'un.

11. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hello Fatbob.
    I hope you're happy with your GX500. Do you have to leave the machine on to watch Sky with that setup, or have you found a way around it?

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No it doesn't. I have one sitting at home and the only way the Component connection is an allowed option is if you have a composite (video) input. If RGB is input is fed to the machine the component option disables. It even tells you this in the manual :rolleyes: The GX300 can do RGB>Component, so can the GX700, RX900 and RX1000 - but the GXD500 cannot. Not least because it is effectively a previous generation GX3!

If your using Sky I suggest you double check your connections - it is quite easy to accidentally switch from RGB to Video input on Sky Digiboxes (by pressing the TV button for example). Or by connecting via the VCR scart (only the TV output socket uses RGB).

13. Fat Bob

Fat Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Sky+ connected to input 3 via scart and RGB selected in the Sky+ setup menu. This outputs to my pwd6 fine as long as the machine is on (not standby).

Checked the PQ against the S-Video out from the Sky by component switching on my yam 750 amp and its better through the Sony so I'm not getting composite.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    ...which doesn't mean anything if you have pressed the TV button or are connected via the VCR scart or have a composite pass through.

But that doesn't mean anything because you converting to component which will look worse/better depending upon your equipment. The bottomline is as long as your happy with the PQ then what does it matter what it is? The GXD500 definetly does not upconvert RGB to Component though - the machines coming in September all do it though...